Anyone recommend a spotting scope?

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
wanting to get a scope to view wildlife here at Grand Teton and other places. It seems years ago i may have looked thru 1 but felt the viewing was so small for my eye. Maybe even saw my eyelashes?
Any one with help appreciated. Looked at YouTube already.
I@ $400 or so..

I bought a cheap one several years ago. I don't recall the name just now, and it's in the basement. It works well enough for what I do.

What is your proposed budget? I just noticed one for only $40, but I have no idea if it's any good.

Here is one review site:

The Best Spotting Scope on the Market in 2020 - Optics Den

Quite a range of price and size.

It seems years ago i may have looked thru 1 but felt the viewing was so small for my eye. Maybe even saw my eyelashes?
The size of the exit pupil is given in millimeters, and the eye relief is the other thing to consider.

I've had very good experience with Hawke Optics. I've got two good quality air rifle scopes (1 Vantage IR 4-12x50 mil dot, 1 panorama IR 4-12x40 mil dot) that I use regularly in low light, have owned for some time (5 years) and I've been very pleased with. After looking for a good pair of binoculars for my Mrs (as a birthday present) and after a lot of research I settled on a pair of Hawke Nature-Trek 10x42's. I've seen other comparisons where I think Vortex Diamondback bins were rated a bit better on the internet at a bit less cost but the Hawkes were better to my eyes a little brighter and almost no CA where the CA on the Vortex's was visible to me, though it was a tough comparison I made. The CA on the Hawkes is so low that it's only visible to me in really tough conditions with harsh backlighting and even then I need to strain a bit. Normal use, I don't notice it. Even the 42s are bright enough for me to use in early to mid twilight and they have enough eye releif to use with glasses, or without. Celestron is a budget brand I see rated very well for bins and telescopes, but I don't think they're quite as good optically.

Without going to the cost of Swarovski, I think the Hawkes are very, very good at their price point and offer excellent performance. They are my "go to" brand now I've been so impressed with their performance. I'd even say it's worth stretching your budget to get a pair if need be and quality wise the are hitting the top end of the mid priced tier.

Ditto on the Hawke.

@480sparky, @weepete, @Designer, just an update.
We went to Idaho Falls for Dr stuff last week. We bought a Vanguard Endevour 20x60x60 scope, and came with a Vanguard Alta tripod.
$399 and I am happy to pay a couple of $$ extra for the service and having sticks/bricks store.
Bought binoculars too!

Had to go back this week for follow up Dr stuff and bought this!!
A Spot Shot wifi Optical Scope Camera to fit on scope.
It has a small screen on back to view what scope sees AND it connects to my phone. Then I can see on my phone what scope sees and can take that picture. I can be in a toasty warm car viewing the scope vision! This tech stuff is nuts!

You would not believe I am an un-tech person but this looked like easy photos from the scope to my phone for sharing.

Trying it tomorrow, wish me a lot of luck!

Let us know how you like it.

Absolutely love the scope! Gets me closer than my 200-500 lens!!
The Spot Shot is good if object is still like an elk. For me its a little harder to track an animal and keep it in frame

Let us know how you like it.
e...still learning tho..

Ok. Will put the spotting scope on my Xmas list!

Most reactions

Back