What's new

Anyone shoot food?

Starskream666

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
598
Reaction score
56
Location
England, West Yorkshire
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need to take some photos for my mum's deli and I would appreciate some tips... I'm thinking a few of the food stations and the actual sandwiches... here are a few examples i took today... i'm not really happy with any of them but I want some advice on how to do it properly.

Cheers







 
I shot a watermelon once, is that what you mean?
 
Shooting food is a lot of what I do. Food looks best when the crop is tight, needs to be prepared and shot right away to look fresh. The best of the group is the first image, the rest are not good. Look at the sandwich with meat... LOL it looks grey and not appetizing. I think you should work on them one at a time and have a list of what you want to show. Trays of garnish can just look bad because of the nature of the little bins.... maybe shoot the garnish out of the bins as square-ups and but the images together. PM me if you want and I will try to help you ..keep in ming food is not easy and takes some practice.
 
Thanks for the advice. Yeahh it looks unnapetising the sandwich haha that is definitely one that i want to re do... my auntie constructed it and i was like hmm that doesn't look very appetising like that but i rushed through sort of. I like the idea of shooting them in the containers though as it shows the variety and how its going to be served to the people.
 
Also what would you say makes the first image good and the 2nd image bad?
 
First image at least looks fresh and the lighting works .... The second image the icing does not look fresh, dry and the styling overall of the bun with the icing is not pleasing..... The lighting on this is dark, especially in the front.
 
I don't really do food shots, but is it true that a spray bottle with some water in it make things look better lol? Spraying over your food
 
The first one has nice bright colors, and the light looks bright and clean. The rest have somewhat dull light, to the point of looking slightly underexposed. You could probably improve them by brightening them with a curves adjustment, and adjusting color temperature and saturation to taste.

The two of the steam table bins look ghastly, mainly because steam table bins are associated with gloppy bad food for many of us. The one with the food handler's hand in the frame is likely not very appealing. It looks like a school cafeteria or something. These are potentially interesting documentary shots, but they don't make me want to eat the food.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom