anyone use a mac computer????

Well, people keep claiming that, and yet I see a definite majority of PCs in my daily work (as a graphic designer and photographer).

Things must be different in Sweden, because i've yet to see anyone, one single company, or even professional individual, in the graphic design industry here using PCs in my 15 years of experience.

And they don't even costed that much.
Really neat trick VI! Making fun of somebodys spelling or grammar is truly an excellent way of proving ones point! I am embarrased and admit instantly that my english is simple and inadequate! This will however not stop me from posting my honest and personal opinion. Be it with irony or with a provocative twist.

Strangely, writing anything that can be interpreted as criticism towards Apple or any of their products on a public forum always reslults in some people getting more or less aggressive. Not even the double smileys did do any good. Loosen up for christ sake.

Things must be different in Sweden, because i've yet to see anyone, one single company, or even professional individual, in the graphic design industry here using PCs in my 15 years of experience.
Maybe so. I can only speak for myself and these are the last five places I've been working at:
Print shop - 2 Mac, 2 PC and a print server with Win 2K.
Webdesign agency - 1 Mac, 4 PC.
Inhouse at software dev company - A lot of computers, all PCs.
Webdesign agency - A lot of computers, all PCs except for one old gen 1 iMac for browser compatibility testing.
Inhouse at industrial company - A lot of computers, all PCs.

At college there were only one Mac available at my faculty, the rest were PCs and Silicon Graphics.

Yes, there are companies that I have been in contact with through my profession that have a majority of Macs, but somehow they often have one or several PCs as well. I would not call something industry standard unless it covers more or less the entire market segment.

Yeah, and you could put a V8 in your Prius... As for the 20" iMac, I am told it uses TN panels which is really poor for graphic work. No calibrating soft- or hardware can change that.
I've had no problems calibrating or working on my iMac display. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that it's glossy. But, for use indoors it's not that much of a problem.

Really neat trick VI! Making fun of somebodys spelling or grammar is truly an excellent way of proving ones point! I am embarrased and admit instantly that my english is simple and inadequate! This will however not stop me from posting my honest and personal opinion. Be it with irony or with a provocative twist.

Strangely, writing anything that can be interpreted as criticism towards Apple or any of their products on a public forum always reslults in some people getting more or less aggressive. Not even the double smileys did do any good. Loosen up for christ sake.

Actually, I think I got my point in before that comment, which was on the tail end of the post.

I own two Dell desktops, a Dell notebook, and an Apple MBP. I'm also running XP, Vista Ultimate, Ubuntu, and OS X. At work I use PCs; Dell & HP. I was also administering a cluster of Dell servers running Server 2003 and two large disk arrays.

The only Apple computer I've used is my MBP. In fact, I spend 80% of my time computing using Windows programs. I just hate when people try and bash a product for no good reason, be it a Windows machine or a Mac. I generally spend a good bit of the time I'm on the Apple forums pissing off fanatics that swear that Windows machines are totally useless.

Even on this forum if you search, you can see post where I've contributed my experience of going through one other MBP to get one that works and having stability issues with PS3 in OS X.

Just because you choose to edit pictures on a tiny 15" screen, doesn't mean other people won't take the 15 seconds to attach and external monitor to a laptop. I mean, if I was stuck editing photos only on a 15" notebook, regardless of the brand, I would go nuts. An external monitor, mouse, and possibly tablet are almost mandatory for me.

here here!! good post VI... as for the recording studio... you gotta site??? i've recently started a small home based studio, and am always interested in what people are using.

No site. It's in the basement of a bar. My friend's sister bought the bar and we renovated the basement and built a nearly sound proof room. It's big enough for a large drum kit. I'm purely digital though. Logic Studio, a MOTU 828MKII, Mackie mixer for generic preamps, and a bunch of Audio Technica mics.

I've recorded two bands, but most of the traffic we get is Hip Hop artists.

I've had no problems calibrating or working on my iMac display. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that it's glossy. But, for use indoors it's not that much of a problem.
Is that the 20" iMac? Well you can of course calibrate it, but the viewing angle and contrast will still be the same. For some reason (cost probably) Apple chose to put TN panels in the 20" version of the iMac.

The worst displays I've ever used were Acer with TN panels. A plain white page looked like a white to pale yellow gradient, things more or less changed colour depending if I was raising or lowering my chair. :) I hope your display isn't like that! However the old and cheap TN technology is inferior to IPS and VA regarding viewing angle and contrast and I think it's a pity Apple chose it for the 20" iMac. I even considered buying one before i heard about their panels. I might if they upgrade them in a future version.

Actually, I think I got my point in before that comment, which was on the tail end of the post.
Okay, cheap and immature comments does not count if they are added at the end of a post? Good to know, thanks man! :hail:

it's weird how many complaints there are about windows computers getting virus's. i haven't run any kind of anti-virus software in probably three years and i'm yet to have any kind of virus or related problem. and it seems like when i stopped using norton i stopped getting virus's. i could just be lucky though.

Now there's something that make you go 'hmmmm'

Okay, cheap and immature comments does not count if they are added at the end of a post? Good to know, thanks man! :hail:

Boy, I'm really glad that you crawled out of the woodwork to join our little community, here. :confused:

Oh and can someone tell me which is better, Canon or Nikon?

:p:lmao::p:lmao:

I agree with you Atropiine: most places I've worked at as a graphic designer/photographer in my 25 years of experience (and I've worked at some very large companies) are split evenly between Macs and pc's. Most of the problems come from employees surfing questionable sites or using Limewire, as stated above, on booth Mac and pc. On that point, my old home desktop pc has crashed maybe three times in the five years I've owned it. (And always my own fault).

As the saying goes, garbage in/garbage out - as far as I'm concerned both Mac's and pc's work great if the user treats it right. I prefer pc's, never liked the Mac interface, but I think that's decided by the personality of the user rather than any limitations of particular brands.

And by the way, the day I write in Swedish as well as you write in English is the day I will kid you about it ^-^

Cheers OP: buy what you are most comfortable using.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back