Anyone used cheap/ebay en-el4 batteries?

stevo8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just picked up a d700 and grip and would like to grab a couple en-el4 batteries so I can get 8fps. Theres a ton on ebay for $20ish. Now Im sure they wont last as long as factory batteries, but they are a fraction of the price and dont mind swapping, just mainly after the fps. That is as long as they wont hurt anything. Anyone run them with success, or anyone have issues etc?

Of all of the after-market products you could use, the one that I would recommend that NO ONE EVER USE are batteries. Take two minutes and search the 'net for stories on cheap batteries having issues. These range everywhere from simply not holding a charge to chemical malfunction resulting in damaged equipment, and in rare cases, even causing fires. Also note that if your camera is damaged by a non-Nikon battery, your warranty will not be applicable. It might cost a little more, but really, spend the $$.

Sounds good, Ill stay clear. I think for now Ill just stick with going through AA batteries when Im in need of the higher frame rate.

A genuine Nikon EN-EL4 (or better yet, the newer EN-EL4a) are hands down the best camera batteries I've ever seen. They have the potential for 4-5 times the charge life of the standard EN-EL3 battery for the D700. With the aftermarket options, you're throwing away most of that benefit, and risking a lot of bad things associated with poorly made batteries.

All that to say, it's totally worth the investment.

I have two 3rd-party batteries for my D60. 3 years, no issues.

I got a cheap battery set with the door cover and charger for $30 straight from china for my d300. Only been using it 6 weeks but no problems here.. Ymmv

I have generics from LinkDelight for my 7D, 5D2 and I had several for my 50D and my XTi. I have never had any problems. I think the generic performs better in my 7D.

I haven't tried Nikon cheapo,s, but have on several other cameras, I never do it any more. Like someone said, 4-5 times less performance, the ones I have tried have been a complete waste of money. JD

I would never ever use an aftermarket battery in my gear. Doing so is taking your cameras life in your own hands. If it leaks or damages the camera in any way your warranty is void.

We sell Synergy batteries at work. 29.99 vs Nikons 70 bucks. No one ever has brought any back or had any complaints. I have a few myself. Not time tested, but as of now, alls good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back