Aperture vs Iphoto

VADER1775

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
anyone have an opinion?

well, if you're not going to be doing any easy post-processing (exposure, white balance, etc), iPhoto works great for storing your photos and removing redeye & cropping. It's basically the same thing as iTunes, but for pictures.

Aperture has a little bit of a wider reach in that it can do all the easy quick fixes without opening photoshop, and also that whenever you make a change to a "Master," it saves the changes into a new version, so you never lose the original image. To my knowledge (and feel free to check my facts), iPhoto doesn't do that. Aperture is costs a little more, but it's a little more flexible, in my opinion. I think the backup vault thing is a little more streamlined than whatever iPhoto has, too.

i have used aperture, lightroom and iphoto. of the 3, i chose lightroom. but if we are only comparing aperture and iphoto, i would have to go with aperture. hands down. the one thing aperture has on all of them, is the ability to watermark.

They're not the same type of program, so there really is no comparison. Aperture is full editing software, iPhoto is an organization and browsing tool with some basic editing features thrown in (red-eye, b/w conversion, etc.)

Don't know about Aperture, but with iPhoto, one must be very cognizant of its idiosyncrasies. It catalogs images in ways that aren't at first easy to understand.

First and foremost, if one uses iPhoto to bring the actual images into one's computer, never, never, never use Finder to move those images around.

I will use iPhoto, but I only let it import aliases of the images, never the actual images themselves.

I like iPhoto's ability to create 'slideshows' and export as quicktime movies, which can then be imported into iDVD. I like its ability to interact with iTunes.

I refuse to use it to manage my photo libraries. I wouldn't bother with its image editing.

Aperture, Lightroom, and just about any other image/library management software would be preferable for someone who is serious about keeping track of their images.

I have iphoto 06' and i really dont like it i thnk the ways to organize ur photos is stupid and it donsnt work,
Aperture on the other hand i feel is much better but if u want to adjust the white balance/ exposer ur pictures have to be in RAW b/c that way ur camera has saved some info about it im not sure the exate way that it works

Most reactions

New Topics

Back