Apparently I FAIL at using the search box to search within this forum...so I'll ask..

AtuspidsGoddess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...because it seems nothing came up for some reason in my search of this forum...If I am thinking about getting into wedding photography at some point...is a Nikon 18-200mm VR II DX a good choice?

If not, what would be?...with the recent damage of my 55-200mm I am thinking about selling it for parts and getting another lens to add to my kit but I need it to be one that will add to the overall effectiveness of my kit rather than another redundant lens as I'm on a budget so if I'm going to spend money on a new lens, it needs to be well worth it and beneficial to the overall kit as a whole. Currently I have a 50mm 1.8, and an 18-55mm. I'm thinking I need a zoom that covers more range? Thoughts?

Not the 18-200 mm it still isn't very good in low light. Its min aperture is 3.5 The 80-200 is more suitable for low light as its a constant 2.8 when needed.

Not the 18-200 mm it still isn't very good in low light. Its min aperture is 3.5 The 80-200 is more suitable for low light as its a constant 2.8 when needed.

...so what is an 18-200 good for?

A general walk around lens for optimum lighting conditions. Churches often have ****ty lighting and a rule about no flash. An aperture of 3.5 if your lucky is going to cause you probably to push your ISO up which could introduce noise in the picture. Where as the aperture of the 80 - 200 has better low light capabilities. If your planning on purchasing a lens for weddings the optics in the 80 to 200 is better as well.

Not much.

The 18-200 is a convenience, jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none, superzoom (11x+) lens.

To achieve a focal length range that broad, many design compromises have to be accomodated resulting in overall poor lens performance, particularly at the extremes of it's ranges.

Nikon's 18-200 has virtually unfixable barrel distortion at 18 mm. The distortion improves as the the lens is zoomed to longer focal lengths and becomes pin cushion distortion at about 35 mm. Focus is soft at both ends of the zoom range, and focal length is inaccurate at close focus distances.

The 18-200 is a popular lens because it is so convenient, not because it performs well technically. Some of us consider it the worst lens value Nikon currently offers.

The 80-200 f/2.8 is a professional quality lens. There are 3 versions of the 80-200 f/2.8 available and worth considering:
  1. the current AF, 2 ring offering that can be bought new
  2. the no longer made AF-S, 2 ring only available used
  3. the older push-pull zoom version (still professional quality)

Last edited:
...so what is an 18-200 good for?
It's a convenient lens for amateurs & hobbyists.

If you want to become a professional wedding photographer (and I don't necessarily mean full-time, just doing it for money)...then you should look at good quality lenses that are 'fast' (large maximum aperture).
For example, look at the 17-55mm F2.8, the 70-200mm F2.8 VR.

Also, by the time you get around to shooting weddings, you should have at least one back-up camera, not to mentioned a couple flashes etc.

Most reactions

Back