Apple Aperture

ImageArray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
imagearray.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering if anyone uses Apple Aperture? I was fiddling around with it this morning (trial version) and I determined I really like it, I find it very user friendly. Does anyone use it in conjunction with photoshop? I'm considering buying the full version but wondering if it's worth the $200? I already have Photoshop CS4 - but I really liked the simplicity of Aperture. Opinions??

Lightroom 3 and PS CS5 do everything I need :) never even tried aperture. My LR does tethered shooting too!

I was just wondering if anyone uses Apple Aperture? I was fiddling around with it this morning (trial version) and I determined I really like it, I find it very user friendly. Does anyone use it in conjunction with photoshop? I'm considering buying the full version but wondering if it's worth the $200? I already have Photoshop CS4 - but I really liked the simplicity of Aperture. Opinions??

I have both Aperture 3 and LR3. I like them and both are really similar. I like the organizing in Aperture better, but I like how LR3 doesn't get bloated databases. I recently split my Aperture libraries up into three distinct areas: Family, Sports, Landscapes. This has helped immensely.

I have been using Aperture Longer and will jump over to LR if I want to use the ND Grad filter or have better control over NR. The spot removal in LR3 is terrible, imo. Not very refined and I get they impression that they really expect you to use PS, which I do anyway. Sometimes it's just easier to do the spot removal in your organizing software rather than having to load PS (which creates a new file). I rely on PS for heavy PP and won't need that on every shot (hopefully).

I use Aperture, haven't tried LM but I already own Aperture and would rather spend my money on lenses than software ;P

I use it conjunction with PS5, I do all my fine editing (exposure, levels etc) in Aperture, and if I need heavy lifting like removing objects or special effects, I export out and use a separate version for PS5.

I personally love Aperture. The one downside is, as someone said, bloat. The Aperture database grows very quickly, so while it's great at managing photos + versions (the aperture speak for an edit), it can eat through storage space quickly.

As has been said: download the trial of Lightroom 3 and play with both before you make a decision. I tried both, and really liked both, but ended up buying LR3 after the trial over Aperture 3. The RAW processing seemed a little better, for my purposes. Both have features I like, and ones I don't. Once I bought LR3, I got an instruction book by Scott Kelby, and that really opened up LR3 for me. I know they have them for A3 as well. Well worth the money in my opinion.

I have only been using A3 and I like it's ease of use. I'm going to try LR3 and see how they compare.

I use Aperture, haven't tried LM but I already own Aperture and would rather spend my money on lenses than software ;P

Agreed! But since I don't have a SLR and I don't intend on getting Aperture until after I have a SLR, I don't have to worry about buying lenses just yet... LMAO!! :lol:

I have aperture and lightroom. I very rarely use lightroom. I need to delete it. I use aperture all the time. Love it. Can't imagine taking pictures without it.

Aperture is elegant and it does a good job as a RAW file converter with fair editing capabilities. I've used it, but I use it no longer.

I would not trust any valuable photos to Aperture's database. Do a Google search on "aperture database crashes," read and make your decision carefully.

Joe

LR3 CS5 Baby :thumbup:

Same here!

I've never used Aperture, but I have heard so often that it's "simplicity" is one of it's best features. I find this to be something of a bogus compliment. Many things we do seem complicated and complex in the beginning... as we gain familiarity, what once seemed un-simple becomes second nature. Hell, I still remember when driving a manual tranny car seemed like an impossible feat of juggling limbs. It's amazing how a bit of experience can transform what we think of as "complicated" to "simplistic".

Lightroom may not seem as "simplistic" at first glance than Aperture... but, believe me, once you've put in some time learning how to use it... it's a breeze.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back