Appropriate pricing on my gear?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm considering dumping DX and going to FX. If I were just straight up quitting photography, I would probably try to get rid of my gear a bit quicker... but I'm trying to milk what I can out of the equipment, since I'm on a budget, and I want to upgrade (but just for an FX body - can't afford anything more).

Basically, do you think my pricing is realistic on all of my stuff? I hate leaving things up on Craigslist. I like to commit to selling something, and once I've committed, I don't like sitting around with it like I'm a business with product to get rid of.

To give some information for evaluation: Condition is like new on everything. Everything focuses correctly, copy variation is no issue sharpness is on the mark. Both lenses are just under a year old (sadly). This is in Canada.

I listed my pricing like this:
D5200 + extra battery - $400
18-35 Sigma Art Nikon mount - $760
10-20 Sigma f4-5.6 - $360

New Canadian pricing on the 10-20 is $500 on clearance at a local store, I figure lowest price is about $480 Canadian. Canadian pricing on the Sigma Art lens is $900 + taxes (on sale is $880 or maybe $860 + taxes).

The other question is: Do you think I can rely on selling for about these prices? The D750 is on sale for $2200 and that sale is ending soon (US - Canadian exchange rate is horrendous right now, so I can't go online for most stuff). If I pass up that sale, but sell my stuff, I'll be without a DSLR for who knows how long until I hit the right sale again. I prefer selling first and then buying with the money I recoup, but I might buy first and sell after.

I guess I may have to wait and see if they get any biters (I *hate* it when I get those automated "Is it still available" emails, and then the follow up after I get my hopes up is "Great, do you accept paypal, I am buying for my _____ who lives in _____.") I thought I had my D5200 sold already! Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated :)

Last edited:
Depends... how much are you prepared to negotiate, and what are these things selling for used in your area. If your local Craig's List/Kijjijijijijijijijijijijijijij/Used <city name> is flooded with '5200s, or has them for $350 then it might be a tough go. I would say the lens prices are reasonable, but the Sigma art may well take a while simply because it's a higher-priced lens. Are you in/near a larger city where you could either put them on consignment or in part trade at a bricks & mortar store?

Depends... how much are you prepared to negotiate, and what are these things selling for used in your area. If your local Craig's List/Kijjijijijijijijijijijijijijij/Used <city name> is flooded with '5200s, or has them for $350 then it might be a tough go. I would say the lens prices are reasonable, but the Sigma art may well take a while simply because it's a higher-priced lens. Are you in/near a larger city where you could either put them on consignment or in part trade at a bricks & mortar store?

Thanks for the help. Based on your input, I took a look at the D5200 listings, and dropped mine down to $360, since I'm seeing listings at $400-$440 with an 18-55. I also dropped my Sigma Art listing to $740, and I dropped my 10-20 listing down to $340.

That keeps everything I have listed below other listings, of which there aren't many. Hoping I'll get some bites. I want an excuse to go out and get the D750 today.

Well, I was GONNA buy your stuff for my Uncle Herman, who lives in Kalamazoo, but has been unexpectedly delayed while out of the country...but never mind now, since that sort of thing seems to make you skeptical somehow. Almost like you think someone might actually scam you!! :biglaugh:

Just kidding. I am NOT buying. NOT, NOT, NOT. Even though I'd sure like to have one of those lenses. NO. NOT BUYING. Absolutely not. :lol:

In all seriousness: Selling stuff, even decent camera gear, is just a crap shoot it seems like. Sounds like you've got your pricing figured out pretty well, just enough below other listings to be enticing. But the BIG question--is there anyone in your area that is currently in the market for those items and is willing to buy them used?
One other thing you might consider: See if there are any camera clubs, camera classes, or local FB groups centered around photography that would you let you list your items. There are extension classes taught at the university here, and the guy who teaches them sends out a bi-weekly email with camera gear people are selling.

Good luck! Hope that D750 is yours sooner rather than later.

I hope to get the D750 sooner rather than later as well! I considered the D610, but the D750 will hold better resale value (not that I intend to resell), the D750 has a better AF system (I intend to shoot 50%+ wildlife), and the D750 clearly has better ISO at 6400 and 12800, where it can matter a lot with wildlife. Wi-Fi is also a hugeeee plus, and the better battery life is nice.

At $2200 it's a real hit. Once I resell all the gear, I expect I'll have recouped $1600 or more (counting my 70-300 VR I just sold for $360 as part of the counter-balanced cost to the camera). So... the net cost of the D750 in reality isn't that bad. I'll lose out on having an UWA for now and for the foreseeable 365+ days, but otherwise I won't miss out on much.

I called in, the sale goes until the end of this month. I'm going to think on the purchase for the next 24-48 hours, and then likely I'll get it.

$2200 ?

how about $1997 ==> Nikon D750 DSLR Camera Body 1543

or, for the same $1997 price, get it with a camera bag and stuff ==> Nikon D750 DSLR Body Only Camera with Basi Accessory Kit 1543 A

And this is why I wish the exchange rate was better right now! :(

I'm buying in Canada, so if I got anything from the US, I would be paying $1 Canadian for every $0.81 US. Just to make the numbers round, that's nearly a 20% price hike ($2400). Plus, there would possibly be other fees to get it across the board. I wouldn't be able to just return the camera if there's an issue. And finally (and unfortunately), there's a lot of warranty issues with buying cross-border (not sure how it is with Nikon's DSLR's)... I think Canadian-bought stuff tends to have a better warranty attached.

The deal I'm getting is similar to $1900 in the US (in terms of how the savings feels -- not the exact quantitative numbers -- since exchange rates shift with time).

Joined a Facebook group to try to sell my lenses.

The DSLR has gotten 2 real offers: $275 and $320. The $320 offer seems like I set up a deal, and all of a sudden I'm not getting any e-mails back. She asked what the shutter count was, and I mentioned it's not even at 20,000 yet (out of a 100,000 shutter count life), so I'm afraid that somehow would scare a potential buyer off. Starting to remember why I avoid Craigslist. I will be glad once I've gotten this over and done with.

If anyone has any opinions on the lowest I should go on the Sigma 18-35 Art, let me know. I was thinking the cheapest reasonable price is $700 (that is a price which is $200 off of new, or $300 off of new if taxes are taken into consideration, or $260 off of new if taxes and sales are taken into consideration). Canadian pricing, of course. It's listed at $720 now to allow the slightest bit of wiggle room, I thought that would be really appealing, but no e-mails yet.

You say you are considering a d750 over a d610 because if resale value. Why?

You say you are considering a d750 over a d610 because if resale value. Why?

What I meant was that's a nice bonus, knowing the resale value will hold a little better. It appeals to a broader crowd, more professionals, so resale is easy too. But resale isn't on my mind as a plan, I've just found equipment that holds resale value usually is more worthwhile over time.

The iso performance is one selling point, focus speed and accuracy is another, shadow recovery, Wifi, and articulating screen.

I'm still considering the savings of a d610. I only have the d5200 set to sell tomorrow. The 10-20 only has an offer of 300, and the sigma has no offers except one who thought it was Canon mount who wanted it for 700.

Last edited:
The d750 is a nice camera. A friend bought one recently and now I want one, but I won't get one, at least not this year

Picking up the D750 in a couple hours. Decided on it. Got it on hold at the store. Selling the D5200 in the same trip to someone. Might have a buyer for the 10-20, still not sure about a buyer on the 18-35 Art.

This is real work. I've never Craigslisted more than one thing at a time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back