Architectural Humor, French Style

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think it is funny, in both senses: funny peculiar and funny ha-ha. The joint is out of times!

2733E158-7AC5-413F-9D74-0AEF9A7BB2D5_1_201_a.jpeg

Robert Langdon taught me all about this

That pointy thing wasn't there when I visited the Louvre

its pretentious, so it fits perfectly in that spot of paris

The pyramid isn't so much the affront as the shopping-mall located underneath of it.

The pyramid isn't so much the affront as the shopping-mall located underneath of it.

You must admit, as atrocious as the pyramids are.... they do have far superior form and artistic personage then any cubist painting inside the louve itself.

You must admit, as atrocious as the pyramids are.... they do have far superior form and artistic personage then any cubist painting inside the louve itself.

It's easy to avoid any particular wing of the museum if one doesn't care for that kind of art. Kind of hard to avoid the entrance if you want to go see art that you do like.

its pretentious, so it fits perfectly in that spot of paris
You're wrong about that. It is not "pretentious", but is actually more functional that you might guess. It serves as the entrance to the Louvre. If Pei had attempted to mimic the existing architecture, then it would have been pretentious, and it would have failed as well.

Furthermore, one does not see the pyramid until one enters the courtyard, therefore the context is not the city, but rather the courtyard.

That is just silly.

I always thought it was an odd combination. It was done in the '80s so that might help explain it! Actually if you look at a picture of it (professionally done such as on their website) showing the courtyard etc. you can see it better in relation to its location. I'd still go there just to see it. Or what's in it. I didn't think the collection included much of anything modern and I took a look and I don't think it does.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back