Architecture Photography tips

AlexColeman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need some tips in starting real-estate photography business. I have most of the equipment, tripod camera, all that except flashes. I am purchasing two Sb600s.Is there other stuff I need? What are some tips? Also, I am looking for some help drafting a sales pitch to a realtor who is a family friend. Thanks in advance.

wide lens, tilt/shift lens, light meter, or are you talking about replicating room snapshots that EA's show on their sites, there's a vast difference between Architectural photography and that crap. H

You need a 4x5 and a 60-70mm lens if you really want to be serious.

Next closest thing is a full frame camera and a 24mm T/S lens

Next to that is a 10mm lens on a crop body

Next to that is your point and shoot with "wide angle"

Kodak still makes disposable cameras..

Neither of these is what I am looking for. I have my equipment, and I am looking to get started in real-estate photography. I was looking for tips about how to pitch to a Realtor. Tips will also be appreciated.

If you're shooting for a realtor, he will probably want 360 video panoramas too. That seems to be all the rage these days.

Great, D90 does video, and I have good panorama software, any tips on the sales pitch.

I would contact the Real Estate Board/Office in your area first before approaching any real estate company. The reason for that is because most real estate firms will submit images of their listing to this "central" source for advertising.

Most On-line listings utilize between 3-8 images and you have to think of offering this as a package per house. Real Estate photography usually involves covering an entire city and/or county, which means most of your time is devoted to travelling from one site to the next.

So I recommend you charge a flat rate per house ($10-$15) and a $.40/mile travel expense.

When you go to give your pitch, there are three key factors you need:

* Samples of your photography
* A professional appearing "packet" that includes your price breakdowns
on your business stationary (include all of your contact information,
cell phone especially and your business card).
* A very professional demeanor - wear a tie in the first meeting, polish
your shoes, try to have a car that looks good.

If you are honest and direct about your costs you may have a chance to get your foot in the door with them. Offer to shoot a property on speculation and do that assignment as well as you possibly can and in a timely manner. Punctuality is so important because of publishing deadlines.

I highly recommend you design a simple contract that details what you will be giving them for their money and then locks them into using your services at that rate for a calendar year. This allows them to place you within their budgetary process and puts you in charge of doing the real estate photography in your area.

As with all business ventures, do a little market research to see what your competition is made up of. Digital photography makes it easy for anyone to be a "photographer" and seriously compromises what the market will bear for rates.

Don't be discouraged if they say no - go back a week later and try again.

Another avenue is with the newspaper classifieds - find out who the classified manager is for your local paper. Call him up and offer to treat him to lunch, at which time you can pitch yourself to him one-on-one when he's away from the security of his office.

Think outside of the box!

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Michael P. Harker

Last edited:
Thanks alot, this was the information I was looking for. My portfolio really has nothing to do real estate photography. So what shots would you suggest I get?

I don't have to make a living, I am 16, so am just earning money towards photography equipment.

I don't have to make a living, I am 16, so am just earning money towards photography equipment.

Like I said.
I am not looking for comments, just tips. Your opinion on the pay does not matter.

Charging a proper rate IS a tip. I understand that you don't necessarily need the money, but you're already going to have problems with people not taking you seriously because of your age. Charging next to nothing will only make it worse.

Charging a proper rate IS a tip. I understand that you don't necessarily need the money, but you're already going to have problems with people not taking you seriously because of your age. Charging next to nothing will only make it worse.

Alex, the man is being extremely polite and stating a solid fact. This is likely as GOOD a tip as the best tip in this thread.

You don't see Joey Lawerence out there doing $15 real estate photography (go ahead and google his name!)... he won't move his shutter finger once for anything under $5000, and he is a mere 1 year older than you. ;)

If you are going to dream, aim high, not at BELOW the waist-high garbage bin.

Do it right, do it seriously... or don't do it.

Jerry obiously doesn't understand English - you asked for advice on how to begin making money at real estate photography. The cold hard facts of life are you won't make any serious money at it. Real Estate agents typically get a3-4% commission when they close a sale. If a house sells at $100,000, they get $3000. And they average maybe one sale a month after putting in 60-70 hours a week.

If you make $15 per house and shoot 50 houses a week, you'll make $750 a week.

That's damned good money! Because you can do it in about 30 hours a week.

Nobody - and I mean nobody - charges $5000 a day in professional photography when they are at the beginning of their career.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back