Are Canons good for high ISO?

As for when the D60 will show up...it's anybody's guess.
Isn't the Nikon D60 available now?

The Canon D60 has been out for five years or more... lol.

BTW, thank you for the input. I guess it will do the best at high ISO for what I can afford. And like someone said, in comparison to my P&S it will probably seem crystal clear.

I just looked on dpreview, and it said the Rebel XS has slightly better high ISO than the D60, A-200 and the E-420. Whether its really better than those or not is irrelevant. At least it can hang with them.

I shoot with a 50D body and I can tell u its a lot better in noise compared to my old xti. loads better!

It depends, entry level DSLRs are subpar, but still better then point and shoots. What you really need for low light is a Pro body, preferably nikon with fast i.e 1.4 glass for real low light results.

Many think that Nikon cameras currently have better high ISO performance than equivelent Canon gear because of their Nikon spec'ed Sony made, image sensors.
Canon makes its own sensors, which to me is a plus. Sony sensors are nice, but they're still made by Sony. :)

As for high ISO noise, it's hard to compare. The D700 for example has a 12MP sensor whereas the Canon 5DMk2 has a 21MP sensor. Given the 5DMk2 has almost twice the resolution of the D700 its high ISO noise is about equal. That's VERY impressive. As you increase the pixel count/density high ISO performance generally takes a hit. Canon has pushed the 5DMk2 to new levels while keeping the high ISO performance exceptionally high, as high as anything Nikon makes.

I push my 5DMk2 to 6400 and beyond and am always impressed with the low noise. It's crazy to think you really don't have to worry about high ISO noise with it at all really. Even if you push things too far, the noise is so slight it's easily removed with software. Things have changed a lot in the digital camera space over the last few years.

Many think that Nikon cameras currently have better high ISO performance than equivelent Canon gear because of their Nikon spec'ed Sony made, image sensors.
Canon makes its own sensors, which to me is a plus. Sony sensors are nice, but they're still made by Sony. :)

As for high ISO noise, it's hard to compare. The D700 for example has a 12MP sensor whereas the Canon 5DMk2 has a 21MP sensor. Given the 5DMk2 has almost twice the resolution of the D700 its high ISO noise is about equal. That's VERY impressive. As you increase the pixel count/density high ISO performance generally takes a hit. Canon has pushed the 5DMk2 to new levels while keeping the high ISO performance exceptionally high, as high as anything Nikon makes.

I push my 5DMk2 to 6400 and beyond and am always impressed with the low noise. It's crazy to think you really don't have to worry about high ISO noise with it at all really. Even if you push things too far, the noise is so slight it's easily removed with software. Things have changed a lot in the digital camera space over the last few years.

On my camera, anything over 100-200 is...horrible. So, shooting at 800 seems great by me. Of course I'll get bored with that when I start to push my new camera, but for now, knowing I'll get quality ISO for a starter DSLR is what I was wanting.

My XS seems to perform quite well compared to my friend's d60, at least in my eyes, then yet, I was using a way better lens.

My XS seems to perform quite well compared to my friend's d60, at least in my eyes, then yet, I was using a way better lens.
The XS uses a CMOS sensor whereas the D60 uses a CCD sensor. The CMOS system produces cleaner images as the ISO increases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back