are my lenses up to par?

anything you synth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon Rebel Xsi, with the kit lens, and a 50mm f/1.8 lens. I like the angles i can get with the 18-55mm, but the quality of the 50mm is better. i would like to get a lens with the quality of the 50mm, but the wide angle of the 18-55mm. could anyone recommend several lenses to choose from? thanks!

sorry if this has been asked/posted before

tamron 17-50 f2.8 ... wide aperature, wide angle .... around $450 .... only option worth while

I have the same stuff, and am also in the market for a more versatile lens than the 50mm 1.8. I've rented a 24-70 2.8....but that puppy will set you back like $1300. lol. I have NO CLUE what my next lens will be. The Tamron 17-50 2.8 is what I've been reccommended quite a few times, but it's not the ONLY lens worth while in that price range.

I am working with a local dealer.

I hope to trade my f/3.5 nikkor glass for Tamron f/2.8

I have a Canon Rebel Xsi, with the kit lens, and a 50mm f/1.8 lens. I like the angles i can get with the 18-55mm, but the quality of the 50mm is better. i would like to get a lens with the quality of the 50mm, but the wide angle of the 18-55mm. could anyone recommend several lenses to choose from? thanks!
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

You might find this web site helpful.

yeah, i would really like to get rid of my kit lens (18-55)

I have no one to blame but myself. I bought the body separate and chose the lenses based off various reports.

I also discounted third party glass, and now wish I had given them greater consideration.

I have used some Tamron glass now, and am pleased with the results. If the local dealer is willing to trade me Nikkor glass for Tamron, for glass of about equal value, I think I will take them up on it.

The 10-22 won't replace your 18-50 kit lens as you would be losing the 22-50 range. Granted, you still have your 50mm 1.8.

I have a Canon 10-22mm wide angle which I love and I recently picked up the Tamron 28-75mm. My next lens is going to be a 70-200ish telephoto and I should be good to go.

My only issue with the Tamron is that the 28mm wide end is somewhat long on a crop sensor camera. But I work with it best I can. :)

Well, the best lens in this category would be the Canon 17-55 F2.8. But if that is a little out of your budget, the next best lens is the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 Macro, with the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 following the Sigma.

Well, the best lens in this category would be the Canon 17-55 F2.8. But if that is a little out of your budget, the next best lens is the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 Macro, with the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 following the Sigma.
I mostly agree with this. The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, is a fantastic lens, probably much better quality than your 50mm F1.8...although it probably costs as much as your camera.

Some other top quality lenses in this range would be the EF 17-40mm F4 L and the 16-35mm F2.8 L. Either of these would be excellent lenses. The 17-40mm F4 L is actually a great deal because of the quality you get for the price, although it's limited to a max aperture of F4.

tamron 17-50 f2.8 ... wide aperature, wide angle .... around $450 .... only option worth while

I have the Tamron 17-50 and its an amazing lens. I use it all the time. Cant go wrong with this purchase. It's sharp, offers great color saturation, and the f/2.8 aperture throughout the range is great. Highly recommended!

Most reactions

Back