Are you kidding me!?

If the front element popped out and it's intact, you might be able to pop it back in.
Yes it was the front that popped out and it doesn't look like anything was broken off or anything so I might play around with a it a little and see if I can pop it back in. I have nothing to lose:D

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, lucki. It's my biggest fear the moment I unzip my camera bag - will I drop a lens today?

I remember when I first got my camera I was afraid to even touch it. I finally realized that I actually had to pick it up to get any photos LOL. I guess now I am just being a little to clumsy...so much for being "Lucki".

More expensive glass, like the f1.4 shouldn't do that. My buddy kicked a Nikon 10.5 fisheye down a huge gravel hill while shooting a wedding, and due to a professional build quality, he still uses it.

I've never seen a modern lens with a high build quality.

Well you don't shoot Nikon or Canon, so I'm guessiong you've never used L glass, or even seen it for that matter, or any expensive Nikon lenses.

This is one of the many things I love about old stuff, the last time I droped a lens, it did considerably more damage to the hardwood floor than the lens.

Never the less, I would advise against trying to "pop" it back in, you may chip or scratch the glass or end up with a finger print on the inside. Given what you said it cost I would seriously look more at opening it up properly and putting it back in to the housing.

Well you don't shoot Nikon or Canon, so I'm guessiong you've never used L glass, or even seen it for that matter, or any expensive Nikon lenses.
Well after typing that, I stopped by work this evening just to play around with a couple of the L lenses that we had. I'll admit, they do feel nice and solid. The control rings on these lenses also had a much smoother motion than the rings on the normal-grade lenses we sell.

But!

But, it still doesn't match the vintage lenses I'm holding in my hands right now. My statement still stands, these old metal and glass things are of a much higher build quality. Seriously, you're only going to disagree with me until you get to hold one yourself. Go find one, turn its focus ring, then come back and let me know if your opinion changes!

EDIT: I'm not saying that the L Lenses are subpar by any means, they are wonderful, solid instruments and I would be proud to shoot with one if I was a Canon user.

Well after typing that, I stopped by work this evening just to play around with a couple of the L lenses that we had. I'll admit, they do feel nice and solid. The control rings on these lenses also had a much smoother motion than the rings on the normal-grade lenses we sell.

But!

But, it still doesn't match the vintage lenses I'm holding in my hands right now. My statement still stands, these old metal and glass things are of a much higher build quality. Seriously, you're only going to disagree with me until you get to hold one yourself. Go find one, turn its focus ring, then come back and let me know if your opinion changes!

EDIT: I'm not saying that the L Lenses are subpar by any means, they are wonderful, solid instruments and I would be proud to shoot with one if I was a Canon user.

Welcome to the future, if it can be produced cheaply, it will be. The statement "they just don't build them like they used to" holds true in this case. Sadly those lenses that are built like a rock won't work on ninty percent of the cameras being used today.....All the better for us though, those of us who use them can get them dirt cheap. :D

For those of you that have the 10-22mm canon lens, I've had the front plastic ring that sort of sits on top of the glass pop out before. I didn't really look to close when I pushed it back on, but I don't think it does much except make it look pretty. But then it's not really a well built lens in the 'drop it and will it live?' scale.

But!

Yeah, sure and my '53 Chevy is better than anything on the market today. Yeah, sure.

So I have my camera out for about 1.5 seconds and I managed to break my 50mm lens. I'm pretty sure anyway. I dropped the lens, and the glass part popped out (If you were looking at the lens, that part...I guess). I'm really ticked right now, and hoping maybe this is some really cool feature and it just pops right back in (wishful thinking huh?) SO now what? It's a Canon and I know it has a year warranty, but I am pretty sure this doesn't apply. Do I need to take it somewhere to get it fixed? Can it be fixed? Would it be cheaper just to buy a new lens? This totally sucks. I do have another lens to use, but this is really my favorite. Thanks.

This suggestion is a bit late for this incident but...
You can purchase a "Scheduled Coverage" rider for your homeowner's insurance policy. It covers ALL risks including "mysterious disappearance." I pay $40/year for $2500 worth of camera gear. (A lot of my gear is too old to include on the policy.)

Before I went on vacation this year, I called my insurance to ask about a rider. I was told that I was covered if I sent them pictures and serial numbers and that it was already part of our home policy.

All $6000+ of my equipment is covered without question.

Before I went on vacation this year, I called my insurance to ask about a rider. I was told that I was covered if I sent them pictures and serial numbers and that it was already part of our home policy.

All $6000+ of my equipment is covered without question.

I also have that coverage without the extra charge but...

1. My normal deductible applies which, in my case is US$1000. There's no deductible with scheduled coverage.

2. Scheduled coverage is "all risk." I'm covered if I drop my camera. Regular coverage is for things like theft and fire.

However, the important thing is to find out exactly what's available on your specific policy.

Already done. Had a nice 1 hour talk with the man before I took the camera with me on vacation.

- Theft
- Fire
- Accidents

Deductable is $1000, none of which I pay if any of the above happens to my camera EXCEPT accidents that occur where I am the responsable one.

Example:
- I drop the camera, I pay.
- Someone bumps into me, I drop the camera, I do NOT pay.

Just ordered some L glass from BH and for another 160.00 you get accidental coverage on 2000.00 of glass for anything it dont matter. Drop it from a tree top or to the bottom of a lake. They will fix or replace it.:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back