Are you on the DC Meetup List?

Jocose, why are you on that list of yours twice?? ? ? ? ? ? :scratch: ;)

Seeing that this is going to be a huge (cool!) and three(!)-day-event, I feel that even if we form groups and people join those, we will still be able to organise Complete-TPF-Meet-Up-Occasions where we shall ALL get together and spend time together.

My husband already said: Well, I know DC (he doesn't, he's been there for a day), so I would not need to see the Mall. He might want to see something else instead.
My sister says: the museums are all free of charge, so you MUST go there!
I say: ANYTHING would be of interest for me, for it will be my very first time. What I do appreciate is the guidance given by "insiders" who know the place and around.

Oh, one other thing:
We still have not decided on any hotel as yet.
My friend in Capitol Heights sent me this link (http://www.res99.com/hotel/10003430-10050208O.html?ses=e694946af67dab4862f2a0c54a67c7074738ps) but I might want to check out things a little further.

And we'll be arriving at JFK in NYC (!) on April 2 at night, so we have a couple of days there or elsewhere on the way between before we'll arrive.
Any help in where to stay and what are the MUST SEEs in New York would be much appreciated, too, mind! I'll keep my PM box open and free for that!!!

My plans are not to arrive in DC until sometime on Friday, however, I do not know when yet. So I am hoping that most of the activities will be on Saturday...we will be leaving Sunday evening (if all goes as planned)...so Sunday morning/early afternoon would be good for us too. :)

There had better be a Group H - Local Bar and Drinking Appreciation.

Oh, you don't let under-forties in your bars do you? Next you'll be telling me I can't smoke in bars and restaurants. And that you can't photograph government buildings.... DOH!

Rob

Rob said:

Oh, you don't let under-forties in your bars do you? Next you'll be telling me I can't smoke in bars and restaurants. And that you can't photograph government buildings.... DOH!

Rob

Now Rob, just relax, we have some geriatric bars that you can go to...but you probably can't smoke in those due to the oxygen tanks folks lug around.

Seriously, though, DC is trying to pass a smoking ban, but even if it passes (which I don't think it will), it won't be in effect when you're here.

BTW, I will be leading said group. My favorite bar is Nanny O'Briens, a faux Irish pub that pours a mean guinness. They are off the beaten path for tourists, but only a block down from the Cleveland Park Metro Station, so still easily accessible. I wasn't going to suggest it since it's so far from downtown, but they have a back room (which is really just another room behind the front one (as opposed to a separate one), but I know that they have had parties there and told the folks in the front that they are only allowed back there to head to the bathroom. I was thinking about asking them how to get that for us, but I didn't know if we would have enough people interested in drinking there.

The other advantage is that they are going to be cheaper than the bars downtown. Anyway, there is no shortage of bars in DC.

As soon as is doable, I think it would be useful to get an idea of when everyone is planning to arrive on Friday.

Jocose, we chatted a bit about wanting to find a restaurant or bar that would happily accommodate a large group of unweildy TPF er's just off the street - so this place you mentioned sounds like something you should follow up on for us. :thumbup:

There have been some ongoing behind-the-scenes discussions about the meetup. :) What Chase and I have been trying to do is this:

* arrange a central meetup place on late Friday afternoon or early evening, depending on when everyone plans on hitting town. That way we can all meet for sure on Friday, and get an idea of what we want to do on Saturday/Sunday

* Have a couple meeting places and times in mind for Saturday morning. Say, a museum or someplace central on the Mall for one group, and someplace completely different for another group. Breakfast can be on your own, just be at one meeting place or the other by the specified time.

* Around mid-day, break for lunch and either stay with what you're doing or head off to a second meetup place and time.

* Have another (or the same) restaurant/bar to meet for dinner as a large group (or go off on your own if desired, just trying to keep the group together), to socialize and talk about Sunday.

* Sunday will begin to be a bit more chaotic, as people will start to head out. This might be the best time to try some of that street photography or Arlington - we can pin that stuff down a bit later.

That's our (very) loose itinerary as it stands so far. We've been exploring a few hotels for group discounts, but haven't had a whole lot of luck in that regard.

As soon as folks have actual flight arrival times, or ETA for those of you driving in, we can start posting those here to decide on a "dinner/drinks" hour. And a place!! :lol:

So, does this help to tie the strings together a bit better for everyone? :)

From everything I've talked aobut with Chase, he's swaying towards the Hyatt Regency (and so am I...stayed in a Hyatt before and loved it). We've also been looking at the Wyndham, so those are two more to think about. I'd really prefer something in a really good location, because I'd like to deal with transportation as little as humanly possible. When we went to St. Louis we walked everywhere we went (TONS of walking), but it was SO much better than dealing with driving or getting cabs.

Oh, and we should prolly get our Mr. Jocose to check out the location and such on the link LaFoto posted. :)

(thanks JoCose!)

I'm with ya on that! There is a great bar in the dupont area called The Brick Skeller. They have over 1500 yes (one thousnad five hundred) bottled beers from all over the world. You never have the same beer twice in this place.

Jo, If your in the Cleavland park area, you have to hit the Four P's. Irelands Four Prov's is a awesome place!

Scott

Rob said:

Rob

MyCameraEye said:
I'm with ya on that! There is a great bar in the dupont area called The Brick Skeller. They have over 1500 yes (one thousnad five hundred) bottled beers from all over the world. You never have the same beer twice in this place.

Jo, If your in the Cleavland park area, you have to hit the Four P's. Irelands Four Prov's is a awesome place!

Scott

Scott, the 4 P's is no longer the 4 P's. I forgot what it's called now, but I noticed that a few weeks ago. I don't really like the 4 P's, I'm a Nanny's fan, but it's a whole Republic vs. Northern thing...

Oh, and the Brickskeller isn't too bad. It's only few blocks from the Q St. exit at Dupont Circle, but it's a little more confusing to get to than Nanny O'Briens in Cleveland Park.

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out where is best.

jocose said:
Oh, and the Brickskeller isn't too bad. It's only few blocks from the Q St. exit at Dupont Circle, but it's a little more confusing to get to than Nanny O'Briens in Cleveland Park.

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out where is best.
Thanks for continuing to check into these places, guys! Finding a place where we can all eat and drink :drunk: comfortably together is soooo important! ;)

Most reactions

Back