Argg...ERR99 demon

nabero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks....long time, no see :)

I've been lurking in the forum for a while now...but hopefully now I'll be back posting....once I get this issue figured out.

I bought a used sigma 28-200mm (for an xti)...and shot a few pictures...now I'm getting "Error 99". I can solve the problem for the moment by popping out the battery...but does anyone know if this is an issue I should be taking my camera into the shop for?

I did a little reading online and people have mentioned dirty contacts or an incompatible lens ...since the lens is compatible I was thinking about trying to clean the contacts....If anyone can help I'd reeeeealllly appreciate it! :hugs:

it'll be the lens not the camera, Sigma could probably have the lens rechipped

in the UK is costs about £20-£25 so its not too bad, friend of mine had the same problem, lens was back in about 2 weeks

is it dangerous to my camera to continue to use the lens and just pop out the battery for the time being?

You might also try cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens & body...but if that doesn't help, then it may need to be re chipped.

I don't think it will damage your camera to continue to use it..it's just annoying

I'll definitely try cleaning the contacts...Thanks LP and Big Mike.

I think I got a good deal on the lens (~$120 with a UV filter and a hood)...so if it has to be rechipped I think it would still be worth it :) --if that's not a good deal, please let me know, because i have about 15 days to return it for any reason.

I would just return it and say it was broken, and I wanted a replacement.

my mates lens would work fine wide-open but the moment it was stopped down *BANG* ERR99

seems a good price to me

Hmm....well it's the only one the shop had. I can deal with a little hassle as long as it's not going to empty my pocketbook.

my mates lens would work fine wide-open but the moment it was stopped down *BANG* ERR99

exactly what's happening with mine. how would you go about getting it rechipped? I've never had to do anything like this?

thanks a ton for the help :D

easy for my mate, he worked in the same shop as me so we just sent it off.

Either get in contact with Sigma http://www.sigma-photo.com/

or take it to a camera shop who will send it off but will charge for doing it

I got the same error with my 24-105 f/4 L. Brand new lens. I figured it was from rapid shooting and a slow CF card. Only happened once and it was during a burst of shots in RAW mode. After a quick shutdown and battery swap, I just continued shooting.

Most reactions

Back