Arguments in the Challenges - COVID Stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropicalmemories

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used to enjoy the Weekly Challenges and the Photo of the Month, but recently there seems to be some arguments and an outbreak of the Red Cross disagreement sticker. Are we all getting stressed over COVID or do some people take these informal threads way too seriously?

I use The Photoforum for fun and relaxation, but I've not participated for a while in the Challenges, because if I wanted arguments and disagreement I can visit my office.

I also noticed a drop in nominations for the photo of the month since the arguments in the August thread.

Do we all need to lighten up a bit? People give their time to run weekly challenges and polls, let's just join them in a spirit of friendly fun, and not try to mount legal challenge to the 'rules'.

I tend not to get too hung up on it. It is the Internet after all.

There's more important things in my life than to waste my time getting involved on petty online arguments. I'll state my opinion, stand my ground if needs be but wont stress over it. Lifes too short.

Have a nice day;)

No covid stress for me. I have been working as before all through this pandemic and even Got a nice bonus from my company.

I think your definition of an argument might be too sensitive.

As far as nominations for photo of the month go in the last thread it was mentioned that tablet and phone users are finding the nomination process not very friendly to their devices, but no consideration of this seems to have been given to this fact. As far as me, I often browse the forum on my phone now,and for the past 18 months or so have used my phone almost exclusively.. as was mentioned in a recent thread, it is extremely difficult to acquire the URL using this version of Android which is 6.1 (?) commonly called Ice Cream.

Last edited:
Maybe you are projecting your own covid stress onto others?

Maybe you are projecting your own covid stress onto others?

Perhaps ..... job change and having to move to another country without my partner may be making me more sensitive to any unnecessary arguments on a forum that I joined for pleasure - but there still looks to be more conflict to me.

The 'what is candid' debate and the flounce is just one example ...... and before that I had a short break from the forum Challenges as that's not what I, personally, want from a photo forum.

I also worry a bit that it may discourage new members. This forum is still the best on the 'net for photo related discussuon, so I'm only really making a personal observation.

No covid stress for me. I have been working as before all through this pandemic and even Got a nice bonus from my company.

As far as nominations for photo of the month go in the last thread it was mentioned that tablet and phone users are finding the nomination process not very friendly to their devices, but no consideration of this seems to have been given to this fact. As far as me, I often browse the forum on my phone now,and for the past 18 months or so have used my phone almost exclusively.. as was mentioned in a recent thread, it is extremely difficult to acquire the URL using this version of Android which is 6.1 (?) commonly called Ice Cream.

I do agree that it's not easy to nominate using an Android phone .... possible, but not simple. Although I do like the process of others making the nominations rather than nominating your own ...... I'm still delighted at having a photo nominated, and I must nominate one myself soon.

There's more important things in my life than to waste my time getting involved on petty online arguments. I'll state my opinion, stand my ground if needs be but wont stress over it. Lifes too short.

Have a nice day;)

Yes, true ...... I don't get involved either - and many of your more outspoken comments make me smile, but not everyone has bags of self confidence, especially these days.

Have a nice day;)

Yes, true ...... I don't get involved either - and many of your more outspoken comments make me smile, but not everyone has bags of self confidence, especially these days.

Well, I'll take that as a compliment/ish:D;).........and I'm glad I make you smile. There's too little happiness on the go right no so if I have put a smile on a face that does make me happy.

Yeah, I take your point about confidence. I'm an overtly glass half full kinda bloke and very little fears me. However, I appreciate not everyone has the same mental outlook as I do.

The Internet is a bit like a TV I suppose, if you're not happy with what you see, switch it off. Sadly many don't, they let it get under their skin and this can lead to mental health problems. Not nice.

Disagreement is a sign that people are interacting normally. In my opinion, there isn’t enough criticism in this site. When I joined in 2012 this was a far more wild and dangerous place (and there seemed to be more users also).

You cited the disagreement regarding what is/is not a” candid “ photo is a good example. If someone states something that you see as being false and nobody says anything to correct it.... the falsehood spreads to others. Plus there’s something that’s just not right about letting BS propagate.

And as we all know, disagreement is far more interesting;)

I used to enjoy the Weekly Challenges and the Photo of the Month, but recently there seems to be some arguments and an outbreak of the Red Cross disagreement sticker. Are we all getting stressed over COVID or do some people take these informal threads way too seriously?

I use The Photoforum for fun and relaxation, but I've not participated for a while in the Challenges, because if I wanted arguments and disagreement I can visit my office.

I also noticed a drop in nominations for the photo of the month since the arguments in the August thread.

Do we all need to lighten up a bit? People give their time to run weekly challenges and polls, let's just join them in a spirit of friendly fun, and not try to mount legal challenge to the 'rules'.

I’m thinking you are referring to the arguments in the black and white challenge? We are trying to address that. If this was something I missed in my weekly challenge threads please let me know. I do make an effort to keep those light and fun.

As for the red “disagree” X, we are investigating possibilities on removing that as it seems to cause a lot of undue tension. Some members seem to use it just to provoke others and many view it as an insult instead of simply disagreement.

I think it’s best to comment if you disagree with someone, being able to slap a red x on someone’s post with no explanation or cohesive argument is not conducive to interesting discussion.

Would a solution be to have the option to tag one of the mods when you want to nominate and the one of us can post the photo and thread link in the nomination thread? I wouldn’t have a problem managing that as long as the expectations are clear that it won’t be posted to the thread instantly. I do have to work sometimes :)

If that sounds good let me know I will propose it to the mod team.

Are we all getting stressed over COVID or do some people take these

Internet forums by their anonymity tend to create situations where things are said that wouldn't be in a face to face encounter, where saying such things could result in punch to the nose. However I don't think you can discount the fact that there has to be stress brought on by everything happening in recent months. The disruptions to everyday life, and the uncertainty as to what the future will bring is on everyone's mind.

@Derrel thank you for confirming that I am not the only one who was experiencing difficulties with POTM nominations via android phone or tablet. Maybe if enough complain something will be done.

@SquarePeg Over time I have complained many time about the "RED X"., but the complaints have either fallen on deaf ears, or I was told the software doesn't allow it's removal.

As to the POTM nominations, if you go back to the August POTM I brought this up. While anything that makes it easier would be welcomed, making additional work for the mods doesn't seem like a good long term solution. Another point I brought up was the ability to "change" your vote at any time. @terri seemed to agree with the point but I believe it's another "software" issue.

I understand that sometimes you can be locked in to certain things with software, but changes are not impossible. Maybe it's time to develop a wish list of "changes" to present to management, who in turn can contact the software developer. Developers update their software all the time to fix glitches and at the suggestions of their users.

I use an Android also and just wait 'till I am home on the big-boy computer to nominate. If one wants to participate, you will find a way.
I have used my 3 nominations. What's everyone else's excuse?;)

I use an Android also and just wait 'till I am home on the big-boy computer to nominate. If one wants to participate, you will find a way.

That's what I do now, but I have an active life and a not so active memory. You'll find as you get older there's new meaning to the term "short term memory".

Oh trust me, I know already;) The other day I walked from the kitchen door to the kitchen island and started doing something totally 360 degrees from what I had intended to do, and forgot all about what I originally wanted to do :boggled: I would tell you what those 2 things were, but I have forgotten:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back