Pixeldawg1

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi one and all,

One of the deep, dark mysteries of this forum is the "points". I supposedly have 43 of the durn' things yet have no idea what they are for, how I got them or even who gave them to me... Can I convert them to cash? Equipment? A Big Mac? How does all of this work? How do I earn MORE POINTS??? :)

I just tried to give you a point about your Point ... but could not figure out the point about the point ... hmm. EPIC!

I just realized you have one more point than the answer to the Ultimate Question.

I just realized you have one more point than the answer to the Ultimate Question.

Did you know how they came up with "42"? If you add two dice together, it equals "42" and a metaphor for "Life is a craps shoot". Dice however, are different than points... so the question seems a mystery, even still.

I have no idea. Can't say I pay too much attention to it/them.

The point to my particularly persistent pestering pertaining to points is that there is no "official" explanation as what they are for, who gives them out, and what the overall significance of them is. I personally envision a little old man in a swept-away room in a dank basement with a gigantic book that he sweeps through long page after long page, and if he finds something you have done or said that is point-worthy, he gets on his 286 Intel with 4mb of RAM and a 128mb Hard drive and 1MB video card and hits that "point" button next to your name (ALL in DoS, of course...). The entire process takes hours, I am sure, particularly on that 28.8 modem...

The point to my particularly persistent pestering pertaining to points is that there is no "official" explanation as what they are for, who gives them out, and what the overall significance of them is. I personally envision a little old man in a swept-away room in a dank basement with a gigantic book that he sweeps through long page after long page, and if he finds something you have done or said that is point-worthy, he gets on his 286 Intel with 4mb of RAM and a 128mb Hard drive and 1MB video card and hits that "point" button next to your name (ALL in DoS, of course...). The entire process takes hours, I am sure, particularly on that 28.8 modem...

In all seriousness, they don't serve a purpose. I've been around since 2013 and and I can't remember a time when the points meant anything. My guess is that it's basically a vestigial tail. It likely was some kind of system of giving out different levels of 'trophies' to encourage people to post. I don't know how many software changes there might have been since the form started - there's been one since I joined - but it's probably a feature that got carried over to the new system and then just sat there, being all useless and bored.

Of course, your vision of the little Wizard of Oz behind the TPF curtain with his fancy machinery is also a viable explanation.

Most reactions

Back