Around the perch

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are these with the 150-600? How are you liking it?

Wow! Those are so crisp. I love 4

Just like Danny's shot, I have no favourite amongst these shots...I like the look of #1, capture of #2, 3-4 are both captivating that I can't help but linger on those two too. Excellent. Have you named this one yet?

Are these with the 150-600? How are you liking it?
These are all with the Tammy.. I really like the lens a lot. If you want noticeably better IQ at 600mm it will cost 5-12k dollars and weigh 3-6 pounds more. It has quickly become my go to lens.. It is light and very easy to shoot handheld, imho.. The fact that many people are saying it is only a little better than the 80-400 is really saying something since that lens costs 2600 bucks...
Just like Danny's shot, I have no favourite amongst these shots...I like the look of #1, capture of #2, 3-4 are both captivating that I can't help but linger on those two too. Excellent. Have you named this one yet?

Lol, well sort of.. she is Allison.. I've been following this nest for 2 years now... She is pretty nice, but gets bitchy sometimes... reminds me of a friend, hence the name, lol...

Any tips? This and stuff from nzmarco would what I am trying to achieve in my own wildlife photography. I don't have a really long lense (sigma 70-200mm f/2.8) but the sharpness you get out of these guys in motion is crazy. I took some pics recently at a park in town and only got sharp shots because these guys were just sitting there so I was able to put up my tripod and just shoot away. Can't image having to track these guys in motion. Great job for a cloudy day. I would imagine you would have liked a little better light to lower your ISO?

Wow outstanding!

Can't say I've ever seen a shot like #3 before. Awesome!

Did you set up that perch? Fantastic first photo!

Thanks everyone!

Any tips? This and stuff from nzmarco would what I am trying to achieve in my own wildlife photography. I don't have a really long lense (sigma 70-200mm f/2.8) but the sharpness you get out of these guys in motion is crazy. I took some pics recently at a park in town and only got sharp shots because these guys were just sitting there so I was able to put up my tripod and just shoot away. Can't image having to track these guys in motion. Great job for a cloudy day. I would imagine you would have liked a little better light to lower your ISO?
It really is all about practice. Settings are simple, Fast shutter speed, 1/1000th at a minimum. AF-C (AI-servo on Canon), dynamic focus 9 or 21 point, and practice. I always recommend starting with gulls if you have any nearby. They fly slow, but it helps practice tracking. Also being all white they help understanding exposure compensation so you don't end up with a white blob. It is also important to know your subject and learn field craft and get sneaky so you can get closer. Even with a 600mm lens, the best shots are when you can fill the frame.. Hope that helps.. And yes I would have liked a lower ISO... :)

Did you set up that perch? Fantastic first photo!
Here in CT we have many man made nests and whoever sets them up, also sets up a perch nearby so the boys can hang out and watch the nest. However this is actually the girl. At this particular nest, the boy hangs out in a tree about 100 yards away..

Not a bad perch as well. Very nice work there Kris. Excellent sharp details as always and love those wingspreads you are getting. Favourite is tough to pick, I always have trouble when all shots are darn excellent. The power in these shots says it all. Would love to see these !!! Yep, if going AF that lens would be hard to look past IMO. The D7100 handles those ISO's very well, impressive.

All the best Kris, top work and shots.

Danny.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back