Artistic nude in which museums?

boevenwagen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I am writing an article about "artistic nude" of "fine art" photographers whose work is displayed in museums. Well known names are Spencer Tunick and Edward Weston, but are there any others?

Also, besides the Museum of Modern Art, which museums actually have artistic nude in their (permanent) collections?

Thanks in advance!

Assuming this is a paper for school, it might be interesting to write about how the majority (and I could be wrong on that assumption), of nudes are of women. Women are typically seen as much more beautiful/artistic etc, but men are left in the dust when it comes to being the subject of artistic nude photography.

Let me google that for you

Probably the most famous of them all: Helmut Newton.

Robert Mapplethorpe would also be an interesting study, because he did a lot of male nudes. And let's not forget Spock. That's right, Leonard Nimoy has done some nude photography.

Probably the most famous of them all: Helmut Newton.

Robert Mapplethorpe would also be an interesting study, because he did a lot of male nudes. And let's not forget Spock. That's right, Leonard Nimoy has done some nude photography.
I stand corrected, and wow, Nude Nimoy?! Who would have thought...

Yeah, Nimoy has done a bunch of artistic nudes. I can't say that I'm a fan though...I've definitely seen much better. I can appreciate fine and even modern art, but when he writes about the meaning of his photographs, I just don't get it.

Assuming this is a paper for school, it might be interesting to write about how the majority (and I could be wrong on that assumption), of nudes are of women. Women are typically seen as much more beautiful/artistic etc, but men are left in the dust when it comes to being the subject of artistic nude photography.

Let me google that for you

The vast majority of men don't like looking at naked men and until recently the majority of photographers were men.

Women, on the other hand, don't seem to have much of a problem with naked women.

Besides, good photography is all about the interplay between light and shadow and women have better curves to for the two to play amongst.

you need to add Ruth Bernhard to fantastic nude photos

I am trying to remember the name of a woman photographer who in the late 70's was was working on a male nude project and was having a hard time getting models. Hm, i think it was Judy Dater.

Thanks a lot everyone, this really helps!

Just not sure about the museums. When searching for permanent artistic nude collections in museums I see a lot of excellent paintings, but no photographs.
Are there any other museums, besides the Museum of Modern Art, that also display fine art photographs?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back