arty, layered images?!

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on a type of photography/art that I am LOVING. I'm thinking it is basically a photo with layers on top of it to make it look abstract??...sometimes artists use textured layers, or semi transparent layers or old fashioned script on top of the original photo...

Forgive me if i am not making any sense:meh:. I have just attempted my first and am not wanting to share it just yet!! Am hoping to perfect it first.

Anyway, what i am asking is is there anywhere I can source the 'art' to use on my 'photo/art/fineart??? Like clipart with 'real' art... Maybe even 'free' art. I would love to do it myself, but Im afraid photography is my greatest arty strength.

Thanks in advance and i hope someone can make sense of what i am asking!

Jem xx

i have seen inspirational works on another forum..... photo.net
Umair Ghani has created a stunning piece using butterflies and many other layers over a portrait of a beautiful woman. i tried to attatch it but couldnt... sorry!

i have been thinking, maybe i can just scan anything that interests me into my computer and use it? i just hoped there may be a 'clip art' type site that has lovely art that people like me can purchase or use.

any help would be appreciated ENORMOUSLY. x jem xx

I would love to do it myself, but Im afraid photography is my greatest arty strength.
That's probably just because that's the only artistic endeavor you've taken the time to develop and strengthen.
I started out with illustration right out of high school, and I thought the exact same thing.
It was just because that's what I did alot was draw, I read books about illustration, I had alot of comic books I used as reference. So I got to be good at it, and that's what my mind gravitated to.
I started using Photoshop(v4.0) with a Wacom tablet to draw on the computer and it opened up a whole new world for me.
There's alot of things you can't do very well using a plain old mouse for graphics.
For one thing, there's pressure sensitivity with a tablet. Makes brushwork with any graphics app actually useful.
I can't imagine having to do anything with a mouse anymore.
It makes masking (an essential part of digital photography IMO) a breeze.

IMO, there's not much difference between a graphic artist and a photographer whos chosen medium is digital.
If you're a digital photographer, becoming familiar with graphic design concepts can only broaden and enhance your photography.

I think masking would help you do what you're talking about here.
You can get a Wacom Graphire4 4x5in tablet for around $99.
That would come with the latest version of Photoshop Elements and Corel Painter, not to mention PenTools for Photoshop and Elements.
The Graphire has a transparent overlay so you can put a photo under it and draw over it and your screen corresponds to it.
I started with a 4x5in Graphire1. Realized it was an essential part of my workflow, then in 2005 when I bought my PMac G5 I bought a Wacom Intuos 9x12.
Best money I ever spent.

Wacom Graphire4

Ya know, if you want a better application, because if I remember correctly you use PhotoFinish, I have unused copies of Elements and Painter essentials that came with my camera and tablet.
I also have copious amounts of learning materials of all sorts. Video tutorials, text tutorials, brushes, plugins, etc.. I have GB of textures.
Trial versions of applications.
I frequently trade assets like this with other people at a graphics board I frequent.
If you send me a self addressed pre-paid postage envelope, I would gladly send any of these items to you.
I know you would use them..

You should checkout this graphics board I go to, the work there is amazing.

CG_Society

Most reactions

Back