Assignment or licensing?

RamonM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello.

I did a job for a construction company, where I photographed the construction of a new building from start to finish. I got paid a day-rate, and they paid a limited license fee for every photo they downloaded. No problem there.

Now, the company who did the lighting in the building, has an interest in my pictures, or in my style of photography at least. They asked me an estimate for a new series of pictures. I gave a price for that last week (half-day-rate: 400€, 15 pictures, free usage). But today they've asked me the price for buying a limited license on my already existing pictures. I also gave a price for that (125€ for limited license per photo). But now they argue that the price per photo for the already existing ones is way higher than when I would make a new series.

I have a hard time explaining this difference to the lighting company, and to myself also actually. Hope I explained my problem clear enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings,

Ramon

I'm afraid I'm not sure I understand. Why would you quote them 1/2 your day rate, and why 15 free images? I have to agree, the existing images should be licensed at your regular rate, and new images should be more expensive since you need to get out there and actually make them. Now, you could offer an introductory discount if your pricing structure allows it, and explain it to them that way, but IMO, commercial work is charged at regular rates.

Thanks for your reply.

Half a day rate, because I figured making a new series would take me half a day. My dayrate is 800€. So half a day, 400€. And I put the license in for free this time. To be honest, I'm always having troubles with that. Should I charge for my hours and then extra for the license... or charge more for my hours and include the license. That really confuses me.

Anyway, on average, I charge 200€ when a company wants to buy a full license on one of my pictures. Now, this company wants a limited license, so I said 125€. But now that seems really expensive considering they would get 15 new images for only 400€, with full license.

They asked me to explain that price difference, but I can't, because I'm confused myself. I guess I have to have a very hard look at my pricing structures. (I'm a photojournalist, so this commercial pricing is new to me. With the newspapers it's all kinda clear-cut.)

Okay, I understand; the half-day rate makes sense. I think though by trying to 'woo' them with some free images, you accidentally tripped over your self. I would say that your best bet is to simply explain that you give new clients an introductory rate on their first job, and if you do any more work for this company, charge full rate, all the time.

Thank you, I can see now where it went wrong.

But still, I find it hard to find a balance between an hourly rate, and selling separate licenses.

- I can charge an hourly rate + an 'X' amount for a license per photo. No problem there. But when someone wants to buy a license on an existing image of mine, I feel I have to charge more than 'X'.

Does that make sense?

They are two different things. The hourly rate is your charge to produce the image. The license is the rate you charge the customer to USE the image. You don't have to charge a licensing fee...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back