Astro photography progression

mountainjunkie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It’s been fun learning...this was my first stab at a core shot outside of Moab back in early May. This version was also my first attempt at stacking (via sequator as I’m a PC user). Lots to learn still but I was happy with this attempt.
47047482984_977881d82d_o.jpg

How did you get the lighting on the foreground? Ambient light from a near by city? Shot from earlier in the day? ....

Nice pic! I put my camera on a tripod and set it to auto but it still won't follow the stars. I'm getting a new camera! :distant: EDIT: It's a camera joke.

Last edited:
Nice pic! I put my camera on a tripod and set it to auto but it still won't follow the stars. I'm getting a new camera! :distant:

You mean you’re trying to use the auto exposure setting on your camera? Night/star shots need to be done on manual in order to utilize long exposures to capture the dark scenes. There’s a lot to learn but that’s part of the fun!

Even with the camera set on autu it will not follow the stars. You will have to get a tracking mount of some kind
Sky tracker is one such I found just by typing in tracking mount
I have not used anything like this as this not my field but I have an idea of what is needed.
For my star/moon shots I use the canon bulb function and a remote trigger with anything from 5secs to 30
The lens is set to manual so the focus does not alter. Have a look on line see what there is in the way of tracking mounts and the cost,for me the cost was not worth investing given how little I would use it

Most reactions

Back