Attention Street Photographers

Lambo77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get into street photography and wanted to know what type of lens would be better to use. I have in my bag currently 70-200 4.0, 50 1.4, and 10-20 3.5-5.6. I'm sure the 10-20 is out of the question. But of the other 2, which one, and why?

I actually would have went with the 10-20...

I was unaware street photography requires specific lenses...
I've read some photographers like to get fairly close to their subjects, despite what their subjects think while being photographed. I dont know if i have enough b*lls for that. So I thought maybe the 70-200, but that lens draws more attention. Just trying to get a consensus.

I actually would have went with the 10-20...
hmm, Guess id be able to catch "everything" with this lens, but I wouldnt be able to drill down on my subject, and composition would be alot harder.

OK...not to derail this thread, but what exactly is "street photography?" I always thought it was just photography in a public or urban setting with people in the picture? And I thought many "street photographers" just use simple point and shoots or whatever is easily accessible or portable as their equipment...

I never saw it as some structured, by the book photography that required certain lenses or equipment.

i would say its all up to you and what your looking for in street photography

Depends what you are going for. "Street Photography" is a very broad term. It also depends on what time of day or night you plan on shooting. The fast prime may be good for night or near dark. Wide angle is better for architecture and cityscapes ( but is useful in many other situations as well ). Long telephotos can help you get pictures discretely from a distance. Sometimes being in peoples faces with a camera makes them act differently. However, the short primes may be good because sometimes being close to people and interacting can be better as well. Also, focal length can also compress the scene ( a crowded street or sidewalk for instance where you want to really exaggerate just how crowded it is ) or it can do the opposite and open it up just like in landscape photography ( like if you want to shoot down a street of skyscrapers and really exaggerate the distance and get a really long DOF. I say, get a pretty discrete shoulder bag, like a messenger style, and take them all.

Tamrac 5534 Adventure Messenger 4 (Gray/Black) 553403 B&H Photo

Domke F-10 Medium Shoulder Bag Ruggedwear (Khaki) 700-00A B&H

I want to get into street photography and wanted to know what type of lens would be better to use.

A little one built-in to a small, discrete camera.

imyxkW.jpg

^ HA!

God tier street camera:
-183621705167472660.jpg

10-20, as someone mentioned, or the fast 50. Getting close is kinda the point.

Either a smaller camera, or a nice 70-200 or longer on a DX sensor to reach out there so you don't bother people.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back