attn: night photographers!

cosmoepic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just saw this:

"saturday jan 10th the moon will be the largest and brightest it will be for 2009"

might be a good time to take some shots, just wanted to share :D

Last edited:
hahaha damnit

i meant the moon ill fix the original

Yea I was coming back from work and the moon was nice
unfortunately by camera was at home

weird. i just read this not even like 2 minutes ago

here is a question for you ...............

light from the sun is reflected of the moons surface, so..... theoreticly, readings should be taken just like shooting in the day time, right?

i've been trying to shoot that monster for 4 years now, and i still can't get that photo. it's either blown out, lacking detail, halo'd ..... or whatever fault could possibly ruin a photo. i've tried every fstop possible, Av, A-DEP, Tv, P...... heck, i've even tried auto mode with a ND filter. i guess it's my, unicorn. maybe this year will be the one. doubt it, but i'm still going to try.

somebody give me a hint. don't give the answer, i still want to work for it .... lol.

Last edited:
Ah, good to know. Hopefully it won't be to cloudy out!

Heres my latest moon shot
3181328126_36f0c2916e.jpg

somebody give me a hint.

Um, well, lets just say the moon moves very fast

lol ....... i've tried several exp/aptr/iso combinations too. that's how i ended up with blow-outs, no detail, underexposed ...... and i seem to remember a couple shots where the exposures were too long.

doesn't make a lick of difference when it's overcast

here is a question for you ...............

light from the sun is reflected of the moons surface, so..... theoreticly, readings should be taken just like shooting in the day time, right?

i've been trying to shoot that monster for 4 years now, and i still can't get that photo. it's either blown out, lacking detail, halo'd ..... or whatever fault could possibly ruin a photo. i've tried every fstop possible, Av, A-DEP, Tv, P...... heck, i've even tried auto mode with a ND filter. i guess it's my, unicorn. maybe this year will be the one. doubt it, but i'm still going to try.

somebody give me a hint. don't give the answer, i still want to work for it .... lol.
What works best for me is to use the histogram and trial and error on the exposure until it looks best. Remember, the moon is very bright and you need to expose for that. Don't be surprised if you are using bright daylight settings for this shot.

i'll give this a try tonight (the sunny f/16 hint). got a couple of ideas, already have the site in mind and how i want the composition. just hoping the path of the moon will work with it. i just need to get some more info in the next couple of hours before i go out there and start setting things up.

Last edited:
doesn't make a lick of difference when it's overcast

actually, i'm going to totally disagree with this comment. at least if i was in this OPPORTUNITY i would use the clouds to my advantage. so what if i don't get an unobstructed shot of the moon. i've got some shots of the moon w/ clouds in it, and i think i like them more than just a black forground. it gives it more depth.
i just wish i could get the shot without the blowouts ..... lol .... oh well, like i said. maybe this year.;)

Most reactions

Back