Audio with 7D

Diddy2theJJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I'm looking at recording an interview with my 7D and was wondering if anyone has done this and what sort of external mic you used. I have seen some that you can hook up directly to a laptop so it seems like that would be a pretty nice way to go, but I would like a mic setup that is pretty affordable. Thanks,

As I understand it, the audio quality on the 7D and the 5D MK II leaves a lot to be desired, even with an external microphone (I've shot almost no video with mine, so I can't verify this fact). This, in part, is due to the fact that you can't disable the Automatic Gain Control (AGC). The pro videographers who are shooting with them are using completely outboard audio systems, rather than just outboard microphones.

There are approaches out there to disable the AGC:

http://www.juicedlink.com/index_files/DN101_tour.htm

What's your budget? A lot of people at www.cinema5d.com use The Zoom H4n. It's an external device that you would record with and then sync up the audio in post. It's two on board condensor mics are more than adequate, but it also has to option to run external mics with it if you choose.

I'll check out that Zoom H4n. The company i work for also has a mixer board that it sounds like they would be ok with me using it. Either that or my buddy has a Lav mic that can plugin to my MacBook Pro and capture audio like that. Thanks for the help!

Most reactions

Back