Auto Focus Motor in Camera Body question??

Photo_Junkie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I might be able to squeeze out purchasing a DSLR camera shortly. Funds are still a little on the tight side, so I was wondering what is the model to look at (cost effective) that has the Auto Focus Motor in the body of the camera?

I want to get a Nikon, BADLY.....but beginner level suggestion from other top brands are welcome too.

Thanks so much.

I know the D70 has a focus motor in the body. And then the 80 and 90 as well. But you could find the D70 probably for the cheapest.

Not sure about the 3000/3100 or 5000/51000.

If you want a new body, the D90 is the lowest level model with the motor. Obviously, a decent used body would be less than a new one.

I don't know the specifics for the other brands.

Edit: The 3000/3100 and 5000/5100 series do not have the motors.

If you want a new body, the D90 is the lowest level model with the motor. Obviously, a decent used body would be less than a new one.

I don't know the specifics for the other brands.

Edit: The 3000/3100 and 5000/5100 series do not have the motors.

Thanks for helping me out. I never researched those cameras. Only the Dxx cameras.

No problem.

D40, D40x, D60, D3100, D3200, D5000 and D5100 do not have in body focus motor.

As for Canon, all EOS or EOS digital camera do not have in body focus motor because all EF (even produced back in the 80s) or EF-S lenses have in lens focus motor.

Thanks for the info. The Nikon D90 is the model that I was eye balling....so that works out perfectly. Now I just have to find a good price with a lens.

Yep really good start with the D90. Would look as start the 18-55vr is actually quite good for a kit lens and cheap. Pairing up with the 55-200vr would cover the range. Then adding a 35mm or 50mm f1.8 would do wonders for night and indoor shooting.

Current used prices craigslist is in the $500-$700 range with body only in lower $500 range sold with lenses looking at $600-$700 range.

You could look into getting a D200, 10.2 MP CCD sensor, I've seen that this can still be a rather capable camera, and it has a built in focus motor, lots of dedicated controls, etc. I'm working on getting myself one and you can get them all day long for $300. Then just pick your up a 50mm and your good to go.

Yep if my D90 died would drop back to a D200 without breaking a sweat. Tho you do give up some High ISO lower light abilities that the D90 has over it. But the D200 is still a great performer & teacher. Has better build and more dedicated controls and also meters older manual Ai or Ai-s glass which can be a boon for some.

When a Nikon AF-S lens is mounted on a Nikon body that has the screw-drive AF system (built-in AF motor), the screw-drive AF system is not used.
AF-S lenses doesn't have the mechanical linkage that would allow the screw-drive AF system to focus the lens.

So I wonder why the OP requires a Nikon camera body that has an AF motor in it?

KmH said:
When a Nikon AF-S lens is mounted on a Nikon body that has the screw-drive AF system (built-in AF motor), the screw-drive AF system is not used.
AF-S lenses doesn't have the mechanical linkage that would allow the screw-drive AF system to focus the lens.

Because you never know when you will run across some older AF or AF-D pro glass for cheap. Would be nice to be able to autofocus with it.

KmH said:

Because you never know when you will run across some older AF or AF-D pro glass for cheap. Would be nice to be able to autofocus with it.

I have the D5100 (No AF) and have never had a problem or run into cheap old lenses. And if I did, I would buy them because I don't see myself staying with the same body forever...

To the OP: Don't get convinced that no in body focus is as big a setback as many make it - it was one of my primary reasons not to go Nikon but I did anyway and have no regrets. If you might be getting some old lenses though then...

Most reactions

Back