Auto focus not working?

nalaimpala

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not sure if I am in the right place or not but figured I could start here.
Here is my problem.... I live in a rural area and have no camera shops in the area at all. I droped my camera over the 4th of July weekend and it has not work right since. I have Canon dslr. The AF is not working at all and my camera won't take pictues... it's trying... you can hear the lense making a noise like gravel grinding but it's all clean. Sometimes the flash poops up but the auto focus won't work ... some pictues turn out nice but most are blurry and ALL pictues that I take on manul focus are blurry. Would you think I broke my lens and that justting a new lens would help my issues or would you think it's a camera problem that I am going to have to have it looked at? If it's a lens I can order one online but if it's the camera I don't know what to do? Please help... I am dieing to getting back to taking pictures of my 4 month old twins and also my sons first year of football.

If the lens making abnormal noise when it try to focus, I am sure something is wrong with the lens itself. (Not sure about the body yet)

Anyone in your local area is willing to let you try your camera with their lens? Post a message in local craigslist (if any) and see if someone can help I guess.

Or buy a lens from a online store that has a very good return policy.

If the lens is making a grinding noise when trying to focus, it's likely in need of repair.

Find the Canon Service Center that is closest to you and give them a call. You can send the camera & lens to them and they will check it out and give you a quote for repair.

Here is my problem.... I droped my camera over the 4th of July weekend and it has not work right since.... you can hear the lense making a noise like gravel grinding but it's all clean. Sometimes the flash poops up but the auto focus won't work ...

Would you think I broke my lens and that justting a new lens would help my issues or would you think it's a camera problem that I am going to have to have it looked at.
I think the lens needs to be repaired and the camera needs to be inspected and re-calibrated. You don't list in your profile generally where here on plant Earth you're located, so recommending a good repair facility is problematic.

If the lens making abnormal noise when it try to focus, I am sure something is wrong with the lens itself. (Not sure about the body yet)

Anyone in your local area is willing to let you try your camera with their lens? Post a message in local craigslist (if any) and see if someone can help I guess.

Or buy a lens from a online store that has a very good return policy.

Now the more I listen to it... maybe it is a normal noise and I am just not use to listening to the camera.

I've been looking for someone with a lens that will fit my camera... no such luck yet but I know I have seen people with Canons... so... maybe I'll have to my husband take it to the my sons football game tonight and look around... surly.. someone must have one. I have to work tonight or I would go.

If the lens is making a grinding noise when trying to focus, it's likely in need of repair.

Find the Canon Service Center that is closest to you and give them a call. You can send the camera & lens to them and they will check it out and give you a quote for repair.

I'll probably have to mail it in to Canon. I hope they don't want to charge me and arm and a leg!

Keith ~ I didn't want to hear that word... (re-calibrate) :meh: lol... I live in northern Minnesota... as far north as you can get in the state!... LOVE it here... but the one thing we don't have is a lot of specialty shops... just general shopping. :(

Most reactions

Back