Auto-ISO + Manual Mode

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This morning I was playing around with my camera and wondered if auto ISO worked in manual mode and it does which made me is think, isn't this more or less a slightly more advance auto exposure mode?

I'm actually kind of like it because I can easily select which aperture and shutter speed I want to capture what I want and not have to worry about the ISO, I'd much rather have a image that has proper aperture and shutter speed with noise then a blurry shot without noise.

But then again its still the camera selecting what ISO to us so there is still a chance that the image could be over or underexposed but I'm wondering if it's less chance of occurring than say it aperture priority or shutter priority modes?

Does anyone here use auto ISO in manual mode?

All the time.
The only exception is studio portraiture or outside family photos and stuff like that.

I don't like Aperture Priority because I also like to control my shutter.
I don't like Shutter Priority because I also like to control my Aperture.

So I'm in Manual close to 100% of the time. But I use AUTO ISO a lot . I also use a single point metering so images don't get blown out so much. In indoor soccer I have issue where reflected background lights can cause an image to be weirdly controlled by AUTO ISO but those can be fixed in post.

I use it for all my nature photos. Have the maximum set to 3200, if it over/under exposes it shows in the viewfinder and you you can adjust your ss or aperture accordingly...

This morning I was playing around with my camera and wondered if auto ISO worked in manual mode and it does which made me is think, isn't this more or less a slightly more advance auto exposure mode?

I'm actually kind of like it because I can easily select which aperture and shutter speed I want to capture what I want and not have to worry about the ISO, I'd much rather have a image that has proper aperture and shutter speed with noise then a blurry shot without noise.

But then again its still the camera selecting what ISO to us so there is still a chance that the image could be over or underexposed but I'm wondering if it's less chance of occurring than say it aperture priority or shutter priority modes?

Does anyone here use auto ISO in manual mode?
I do all the time. I find it ideal, I can quickly adjust shutter or aperture and let the camera pick the necessary ISO for proper exposure. That way I can shoot "from the hip" without having to make a bunch of adjustments. Since most of my shots are shots of opportunity I find this works very well for me.

I set my max iso to 6400, which I've found is pretty much the highest iso I can use and get the results I want in post with noise reduction.

I can always manipulate the iso indirectly by changing aperture or shutter speed if I want.

FOR me at least I think it helps me concentrate more on what I'm shooting and spend less time messing with camera settings.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

My auto ISO is also set to 6400, I think I had it set a stop higher before but the camera rarely used anything above 6400 anyways.

My other question though,

How is Auto-ISO + Manual mode any different than Auto-ISO + Aperture Priority with a set minimum shutter speed?

My auto ISO is also set to 6400, I think I had it set a stop higher before but the camera rarely used anything above 6400 anyways.

My other question though,

How is Auto-ISO + Manual mode any different than Auto-ISO + Aperture Priority with a set minimum shutter speed?
Because you control the EXACT Shutter speed.
In soccer pics I control my Shutter to get some shots that show the leg/ball moving. A little bit of motion blur on the lower parts. This is a specific shutter speed, which I crank up to get full motion stop. But I need to control the EXACT shutter speed. I'm also usually in f/2.8 depending upon their distance to me and if an individual/group etc.

With Aperture Priority and a minimum you still give the control to the camera.

what if you wanted to shoot higher than the min shutter speed, but with the same aperture?

If you want aperture, shutter and ISO to be automatic sometimes but still have control to change them individually to a manual setting sometimes, wouldn't Program Mode be the best option?

If you want aperture, shutter and ISO to be automatic sometimes but still have control to change them individually to a manual setting sometimes, wouldn't Program Mode be the best option?
okay
But I *always* want to control Aperture and Shutter.
ISO can just follow along and balance out the settings.

FYI, I've actually have never used the Program mode to know what it actually does. ==> I don't know how to P

okay
But I *always* want to control Aperture and Shutter.
ISO can just follow along and balance out the settings.

FYI, I've actually have never used the Program mode to know what it actually does.

For fun I just switched my camera to P (professional mode) and it only allowed me to change ISO. Couldn't change the aperture or shutter speed..so I honestly don't know what the point of it is.

FYI, I've actually have never used the Program mode to know what it actually does. ==> I don't know how to P

The older I get, the more that becomes a problem :1247:

I just switched my camera to P (professional mode) and it only allowed me to change ISO. Couldn't change the aperture or shutter speed..so I honestly don't know what the point of it is.
"

Not sure about your camera but on my mine the "P" stands for "Program Mode" by going into menu you can set various photo presets same as automatic/manual, but the aperture, shutter and ISO can be changed independently by simply turning a thumb wheel. You can change one or all three. When you set all three it's the same as manual, the only difference being that there is a little green button that if you push it, everything goes back to automatic.

I was checking it out on Nikon's website, and they say its used for snapshots. Hahahaha.

Most reactions

Back