Auto-ISO + Manual Mode

Do the other programmable modes allow you to select the Metering Mode or Focusing Modes?
I know I like specific metering modes & focus modes for what ever I'm doing.

I was checking it out on Nikon's website, and they say its used for snapshots. Hahahaha.

Well actually it is if you leave all the settings alone, there isn't any difference between it and automatic (snapshot mode). The advantage is you Aperture Control, Shutter Control, or ISO control, either individually or all together with a turn on a thumbwheel. I use it as a starting point and to confirm what I think my manual settings should be, then adjust accordingly.

Do the other programmable modes allow you to select the Metering Mode or Focusing Modes?

Yeah, you can change those in program mode.

I was checking it out on Nikon's website, and they say its used for snapshots. Hahahaha.

Well actually it is if you leave all the settings alone, there isn't any difference between it and automatic (snapshot mode). The advantage is you Aperture Control, Shutter Control, or ISO control, either individually or all together with a turn on a thumbwheel. I use it as a starting point and to confirm what I think my manual settings should be, then adjust accordingly.

Yeah, but the camera is still making the decisions, I'd rather select what I want and just let the camera decide what ISO to use...most of the time it's pretty spot on.

QUOTE="astroNikon, post: 3658521, member: 154561"]Do the other programmable modes allow you to select the Metering Mode or Focusing Modes?
I know I like specific metering modes & focus modes for what ever I'm doing.[/QUOTE]

Another major difference in Program Mode (auto) and Automatic is that Program mode gives you the opportunity to change picture mode and EV compensation. Meter modes and Focus Modes are menu changeable in Program

Program mode on a modern digital camera gives you just as must specific control over shutter speed and aperture as you can reasonably get with manual mode. The function is called program shift.

Joe

Thank you Joe, my mind went blank, and couldn't think of the term.

If you think that you need to use M to control the camera and that in P mode the camera is deciding for you and you don't have as much control then you just don't know how to use your camera yet.

Joe

Another major difference in Program Mode (auto) and Automatic is that Program mode gives you the opportunity to change picture mode and EV compensation. Meter modes and Focus Modes are menu changeable in Program
Meter, Focus and EV Compensation, Picture mode? (do you mean quality) are all changeable by pressing a button and rotating a wheel for selection. No menu required (maybe on d5x00 and lower it's in the menu).

Meter, Focus and EV Compensation, Picture mode? (do you mean quality) are all changeable by pressing a button and rotating a wheel for selection. No menu required (maybe on d5x00 and lower it's in the menu).

Meter and focus mode are accessed by a quick menu button, which activates a thumb wheel to change. Picture mode (presets for portrait, landscape, bright, vivid, etc is a quick access button)

I do all the time. I find it ideal, I can quickly adjust shutter or aperture and let the camera pick the necessary ISO for proper exposure. That way I can shoot "from the hip" without having to make a bunch of adjustments. Since most of my shots are shots of opportunity I find this works very well for me.

I set my max iso to 6400, which I've found is pretty much the highest iso I can use and get the results I want in post with noise reduction.

I can always manipulate the iso indirectly by changing aperture or shutter speed if I want.

FOR me at least I think it helps me concentrate more on what I'm shooting and spend less time messing with camera settings.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Totally agree with all of this.

Another Manual + Auto ISO user.
Don't care how good you are, you just don't have time to set your ISO when birds are flying from multiple locations.

First started using auto ISO after reading Coastal Conn's tutorial on bird photos.

Finally someone made P mode make sense to me.

Finally someone made P mode make sense to me.

Left off something, that I added in another post later. EV compensation is not available in Automatic, but is your best friend in Program

Manual Mode,Auto ISO and this wonderful little button +/- EV Comp Is a win win for Birds.Go Nikon:1247:

Manual Mode,Auto ISO and this wonderful little button +/- EV Comp Is a win win for Birds.Go Nikon:1247:

Not so sure about that. I've been trying like hell to teach the birds how to use EV but they just don't seem to grasp the concept.

You must have smarter birds where you live..

Lol

I also use it all the time for motorsports. If you're shooting anything moving quickly, it's basically essential IMO. For static stuff though, I usually don't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back