D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone! I went to New Hampshire on Saturday.... over 500 miles of driving, 14 hours total time, 500+ photos, and all along I encountered rain, snow, sleet, clouds, and even some blue skies.

My first stop was right before Franconia Notch begins, at the Flume Gorge. I have shots of the Gorge, but this bridge afterwards was just perfect--really sums up the classic "Fall in New England" concept.
_RSP9149 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

There weren't blue skies often, but when there were I took advantage of them!
_RSP9141 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

After Flume Gorge, I went to Falling Waters, but the hike was more arduous than I expected (and I was alone), so I decided to forego that option and head over to Cannon Mountain. At the top of the mountain... I was met with quite a surprise... 18 degrees and 30mph winds!
_RSP9302 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

On the tram ride down I elbowed my way to the front window, and as we broke through the bottom of the clouds... well.. it was just gorgeous.
_RSP9403-Edit by f_one_eight, on Flickr

And lastly, this photo really sums up the whole feeling of being in the Notch--beauty all around, lovely light, and plenty of color.
_RSP9435 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

I welcome critique on all of these, but I realize I posted a few, so any critique is better than none!

Cheers,
Jake

I was up at the top of Cannon Mt. last fall and it is truly gorgeous. I loved how it smelled like Christmas up there! We had much warmer weather than you did, it was freezing this weekend! Love that last shot, you definitely nailed exactly how gorgeous it is in that area at this time of year. Not crazy about the black and white of the mountain, it really is all about the color at this time of year.

All gorgeous
altho, to me, the first one looks better to me with a curves layer pulled down a bit.

NEWHAM.jpg

nice man, right in my area. I had to present at a photo weekend event in Mass on Saturday, otherwise I probably would've run into you! Did you at least make it up to Cloudland Falls on Falling Waters?

My dad grew up in Whitefield. I love the area. It's amazing how different NH is from Vermont. Both beautiful but I prefer NH. You know right away why they call NH the granite state.

nice man, right in my area. I had to present at a photo weekend event in Mass on Saturday, otherwise I probably would've run into you! Did you at least make it up to Cloudland Falls on Falling Waters?

Son of a biscuit! I bet you I turned around just before it... I likely hiked up over a mile in before I decided to turn around. I did hit a smaller set of falls on the way up, I'll post that when I get home.

It's ok, just means I have to go back!

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dad grew up in Whitefield. I love the area. It's amazing how different NH is from Vermont. Both beautiful but I prefer NH. You know right away why they call NH the granite state.

Yeah it's a beautiful area. Really glad I was able to make it up this autumn.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the best views in the entire state is in Whitefield/Jefferson at Cherry Pond. Beautiful area

All gorgeous
altho, to me, the first one looks better to me with a curves layer pulled down a bit.

View attachment 110097

I'm not sure I see a big difference.. can you explain? Which side is the edited?

Jake

I see what Lew is trying to say.
There are no blacks in this photo. Setting the black point is another way to achieve this.
I would set black point and then adjust shadows. Tends to have less effect on saturation than curves alone.
It's a subjective thing, but tends to give the photo more pop.
It's the kind of thing I find helps particularly when printing.

The split screen does not show it terribly well due to the nature of the scene.

The right side is the edited side as I see it on my monitor.

Lovely pictures, all of them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I see what Lew is trying to say.
There are no blacks in this photo. Setting the black point is another way to achieve this.
I would set black point and then adjust shadows. Tends to have less effect on saturation than curves alone.
It's a subjective thing, but tends to give the photo more pop.
It's the kind of thing I find helps particularly when printing.

The split screen does not show it terribly well due to the nature of the scene.

The right side is the edited side as I see it on my monitor.

With photoshop you can change the blending mode of an adjustment layer to Luminosity so it just adjusts value and not colour.

I see what you're all saying and agree, but not entirely. I find the tones in the image to be a shade too flattened, they are just a little too similar without the variation in value that you would get in bright sunshine.
Yes, a black point, but I just used a deep shadow luminosity mask for levels blended as luminosity, and a curves layer to bring up the highlights a little. Then a little cooler colour balance in the shadows. This puts some separation back in the tones. Open them both up in separate tabs and flick between them.

mod-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back