Avoid uv filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we not get this thread shut down till I get the pix of his 18-55 not damaged? Lmao.

I just googled:

"class action suit" "protective filter" camera file court

There weren't any class action suits against makers of protective filters. If filters sold to protect a camera lens did not protect camera lenses there would be a class action suit by now.

Any lawyers here want to start a class action suit?
Please show where the manufacturer of ANY "protective filter" makes the bold claim that their filter WILL protect a lens from suffering any damage.

A link to the appropriate page on their web site(s) will be fine.

I'll be waiting right here.

Protection/UV Control Filters

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/tipps/schutzfilter_e.htm

Yup.

I'm going to keep checking that 1936 coated Sonnar for damage. Any century now something is going to happen to it even with that UV filter on it. Then I'll have them.

I just googled:

"class action suit" "protective filter" camera file court

There weren't any class action suits against makers of protective filters. If filters sold to protect a camera lens did not protect camera lenses there would be a class action suit by now.

Any lawyers here want to start a class action suit?
Please show where the manufacturer of ANY "protective filter" makes the bold claim that their filter WILL protect a lens from suffering any damage.

A link to the appropriate page on their web site(s) will be fine.

I'll be waiting right here.

Protection/UV Control Filters
Where's the company's bold claim that their filter WILL protect a lens from suffering any damage?

I decided to use their contact page, and wrote them the following:

On your clear protection filters page, you state, "Protects lens against dirt, grime, fingerprints and damage"

So, if I have one of these filters on, and the lens is dropped, the tripod falls over, or something crashes into/through the filter, and the front element of the lens BEHIND that filter gets damaged, will Tiffen replace the damaged lens?
I'll be sure to update with the answer they give.

No, because it says
"Helps protect your lens from dust, scratches, dirt, moisture, fingerprints and more."

This thread is funny shít.

After looking at that Sonnar, I'm pretty sure the reason why we're getting old and wrinkled is that we are not wearing UV filters on our heads.

Maybe that's the secret of the stars. And everyone thought it was metal hats to keep the microwaves out.

UV protection, baby. That's where it's at for the 21st century. When the Big Solar Flare comes, I'll be under that Series IX.

Could TPF maybe add a team designation to the profiles, so we could figure out who's in what clique more easily? I can't keep track of who hates who.

I want to be on LightSpeed's team - oh, wait - he's gone. How about FireGuy's team - wait - um - I'll get back to you.

I want to be on LightSpeed's team - oh, wait - he's gone. How about FireGuy's team - wait - um - I'll get back to you.
I suggest to stand on your own four feet. Be the Charlie that you are, not some other slump. Who is the other Charlie? You are the Charlie, be the Charlie, own the Charlie.

As a PhD in mathematics I actually do know the difference! The way we do science is we form a hypothesis, which involves postulation. Then we perform an experiment. Please look up gedankenexperiment now. In order to devise our experiment, more postulation.

THEN we perform the experiment. The hypothesis is either proven, disproven, or neither!

What a douche. It seems as if you think that because you are on a photography forum that you are the only educated person. As a PhD in Mathematics, perhaps you could subtract head from ass.

So I am not supposed to make a assessment based on the photos the OP posted? OK FINE! I will make a assessment based on my own experience then.

I had a F501 with ED-AF 70-300D lens. No hood, but with a UV protector. I was on a trail and saw a land crab lingering outside its hole and I hurriedly set up my tripod and mounted my camera on it. I used the telephoto lens because I didn't want to scare the crab being too close. After mounting the camera, I turned around to get the remote trigger. This was when the whole plastic camera mount(tripod side) broke and my camera went down hitting the rock pavement lens first.

I blamed the cheap tripod I got. I thought that WAS the reasonable conclusion. As for the filter, nothing happened to it. I had the lens serviced for re-alignment, and camera lens mounting ring serviced too and everything was fine.

Hood? Too bulky, mostly useless since I rarely shoot with the sun in front of me except sunrise/set shots. I won't say I "believe" in UV filters, but I give it huge amount of credit for many many situations when I am glad I have it.

Camera hitting stuff? You should be aware of your surrounding to begin with. Unless someone else hit yours, it's your fault, not the hardware's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back