B&W Bay

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, Like most here I'm new to photography. I love B&W shots and was told the best way to do B&W shots was to shoot in Color in the camera and then convert them. So that's what I did, now I need to know what I can do better. I've read some looked at other photos on other threads but I don't really understand the criticism. I feel as though I'm not grasping the concept of what I should be looking for out of my B&W photos. So feel free criticize, I need all the help I can get :lmao:

GoldenGateFinnBW.jpg

IMO...there is to much sky...look up the "Rule of Thirds" and "Rule of Curves" I think they will help you very much in framing and croping your shots.
The only other issue I have is focus...when converting to B/W you loose alot of detail that colors draw your eye to...note how the bridge blends into the mountain.
Not a bad shot overall, but with alittle technical considerations it could be much better

No, the best way to do black and white shots is to get a film SLR, a few rolls of Ilford Pan-F and shoot! ;)

With respect to the image posted, there is a lot of sky, but I like it; I think the interesting cloud formations contribute to a strong image. There are some compositional issues, especially with respect to the curve of the foreshore, which essentially leads your out the left side of the image. The bridge is well placed left to right, but too centred vertically. I would be inclined to crop out an area of the foreground. It really doesn't contribute a lot to the image. This will bring you more in line with the "rule" of thirds. DRoberts point about tones is a very good one. It would be well worth taking some time in the pixel-room to work on the area of the bridge and the hills so that they stand out from each other a little more.

No, the best way to do black and white shots is to get a film SLR, a few rolls of Ilford Pan-F and shoot! ;)

LOL, I have a great old Canon with some FD lenses, not a bad idea...LOL

Anyway, you're absolutely correct about the eye getting lead out of the image, I never would have thought of that, but it makes complete sense. I'm going to play with some crops and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all the input guys, I'm trying to learn allot at once and the only way to learn is to get out there and shoot. Thanks again

The best advice anyone gave me regarding black & white (many years ago) was "simplify". It's good advice for colour too, but is essential in B&W. If you're asking about the shot above I'd say it has good sky and not so good land, largely brought about by shooting against the light in a situation where against the light effects weren't what you were looking for.

Regards, Tony

Most reactions

New Topics

Back