B&W Rocky Mountains

ashfordphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally have some pictures that I think work well in B&W - what do you think? Anything conversion-wise you would do different? I know in #1 there is some haloing around a peaks because of the image reduction - it's not on the large full res pic.

Thanks in advance for critiquing these.

ansel.jpg

blacknwhitermnp2small.jpg

You have a good feel for your compositions. They are both nicely seen. My nits would be the upper shot is too dark....not enough detail in the forested areas (though I know it's a tough exposure). And, the lower shot the snow on the ground is a bit too hot. The parts of snow in the mountains in the upper shot is spot on (exposure wise)....and the snow in the lower shot in the mountains is a bit hot, but fairly negligible. You might consider cropping the lower shot just below the aspen boles.....and try to lighten up the entire upper scene just a tad.

thanks CCD - great feedback. I'll try and work on that today some. I've noticed that while working on my CPU that has the software things are a lot darker than how they look on my laptop. On my laptop 2 looks completely blown out...so...I'm imagining that anything I do is not going to be very accurate. Eithery way, it's all I have :wink: So, I'll work on some of your suggestions. Thanks!

Something else to consider is the type of camera. A Rebel DSLR is a nice camera, but still an entry level digital SLR. And it's not the XT....just the original? Same processor I think, but perhaps not as nimble with certain elements of a scene. I have a Pentax entry level and it is also quite a step up from most point and shoots....however....I still have some issues with the scene's lighting being outside the confines of the dynamic range of the camera (if that makes any sense). No matter what you use you will have difficulty nailing exposures with multiple lighting requirements. Using a graduated neutral density filter can help a lot. So can taking separate exposed photos and blending. But no matter what it's all going to be a challenge....snow and forest wide angle shots in particular! So take heart, these are not bad at all.

i enjoyed them... very nice b&w's... :thumbup:

#2!!!! I can't even begin to tell ya how many shots of that exact location I have lol Pretty spectacular place to shoot in the park huh? Usually there are quite a few others there that have the same idea as well.
I like these, maybe drop the curves a tad to add in a lil more details in the whites. Other than that, I can suggest nada :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back