B&W street picture

Maher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey :)
I have converted this picture using lightroom.. :)
your opinion ?
Before:

After:

I can't say the photo speaks to me very much. It's a fairly sharp photo of ... a busy street. What do your think your intent is, to communicate with the viewer?

There seems to be a lot of mid tones, maybe? Especially in the buildings ... Maybe try fooling with the contrast sliders, and see what you like.

How did you actually do the conversion?

There's a BW Look 2 that I usually start with.

The foreground is fairly dark and the subject's faces are all in shadow. The only thing that stands out because it's bright is the car.
Not really a fan of the photo as I can go to my local high street and see the same thing anytime I want.
All the same a CS6 'quick fix', curve adjustment layers with foreground biased luminosity masks for lights and darks, further curve adjustment layer with a graduated mask to give the background some contrast without boosting contrast in the lightened foreground, and finally a B&W adjustment layer with a simulated orange filter.

mod-1.jpg

Last edited:
The problem is that there is no target for the conversion, no idea of what should be important.
This conversion above is ok but what is the end point - a reasonably converted B&W of a uninteresting scene?

I can't say the photo speaks to me very much. It's a fairly sharp photo of ... a busy street. What do your think your intent is, to communicate with the viewer?

There seems to be a lot of mid tones, maybe? Especially in the buildings ... Maybe try fooling with the contrast sliders, and see what you like.

How did you actually do the conversion?

There's a BW Look 2 that I usually start with.
It's a historical street in turkey.. Honestly I have an issue with choosing something that can attracts the viewer's eyes, choosing a good subject is a big problem to me as many in this forum said the same thing to me :/ ... I converted it using lightroom and it took lots of time from me to get it like that way ..

The foreground is fairly dark and the subject's faces are all in shadow. The only thing that stands out because it's bright is the car.
Not really a fan of the photo as I can go to my local high street and see the same thing anytime I want.
All the same a CS6 'quick fix', curve adjustment layers with foreground biased luminosity masks for lights and darks, further curve adjustment layer with a graduated mask to give the background some contrast without boosting contrast in the lightened foreground, and finally a B&W adjustment layer with a simulated orange filter.

View attachment 104036
Thanks a lot sir ... you replay really did help.. I took the picture only because its a historical street in turkey :) it's right though that I should work on choosing a subject that can attract the viewer's eyes :)

I'm not sure where you want an opinion about; the quality of this b&w convertion using Lightroom or the content of your photo?
To convert a photo you can use a bunch of (paid and free) programs. Using Lightroom (or Photoshop) will not automatically make your photos better photos.
I find this b&w photo needs a lot more contrast and much less gray tones.
well I was asking for both :).. I didn't use lightroom with the believe that using it will make amazing B&W pictures.. I'm new to it and some comments will defiantly make me upload better pictures in the future :D
Thank you

The problem is that there is no target for the conversion, no idea of what should be important.
This conversion above is ok but what is the end point - a reasonably converted B&W of a uninteresting scene?
true.. will work on it.. thanks :)

I bet to left of the car where the Canopy is,looks like something interesting may have been going there.

I agree that it needs some additional contrast. As for the scene, I think it could be a good set-up shot for some closer in shots that would follow - it could be the architecture or the people. Right now there are a number of interesting things going on with people, it would have to be a big print to see the little interactions going on.
Anyway, here is my version from LR:
D4tpHS_edit1.jpg

I took the picture only because its a historical street in turkey :) it's right though that I should work on choosing a subject that can attract the viewer's eyes :)

The photographer must have a center of interest in mind and then compose and expose around that.
All the rest of managing the picture, post-processing - everything depends on the photographer knowing what the picture is about and taking that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back