Baby boy photos

kaylahunsader

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are some shots I took of a baby boy for his turning 1 year. I used a 400b speedlight inside, and a black blanket as a backdrop for some of the photos. I am not that great at using the 400b speedlight inside, and I only have the one light besides the one on my camera. Any feedback on using this lighting and these pictures would be great!

BabyBreyton115w.jpg

BabyBreyton097w2.jpg

BabyBreyton073w.jpg

BabyBreyton013w2.jpg

BabyBreyton098w2.jpg

The Mom blowed boubles at the baby to try and get him to laugh in this one. That is the reason for the random bubbles.

can you post your camera settings? They all look a little soft/out of focus.

Yes, I will post my settings. I will have to look tomorrow and then post them, but what about my settings would make them look soft/out of focus? After you said that and now I look back at them I notice it.

Exposure Time 1/250
F Number 16
Exposure Program Manual
ISO Speed Ratings 800
Metering Mode Pattern
Nikon D300

This is the settings for all of the studio pictures except the first one which was f22.

Why were you using such a high ISO and aperture???

Lots of weird chops. I can't help with artificial light because I have never used it. Cute kid and pup though :)

Cute family.. IMO the lighting is a little harsh. Im not liking some of the shadows on the faces.. You need a fill light or a reflector. Also leave fingers on hands and hands on wrists.. Same goes for toes and feet. ; ) Thanks for sharing!

I am assuming your inexpensive flash is not TTL and the only way to fire it us is by manual sync.

Try these settings with your speedlight:
- Camera and Flash in Manual Mode
- ISO 100
- F/5.6
- shutter speed at 1/250.
- 1/2 flash power

Fire your test shot and look at your histogram. If your histogram peaks to the right, your sensor is getting too much light. Lower the power of the flash or adjust your aperture opening to a higher number. If your histogram peaks to the left, that means your sensor needs more light. Adjust your speed to a slower number. Maintain your ISO at 100 and aperture at 5.6.

This is easier said than done. You also have to unsertand the inverse square law to know how much juice your flash must have at a certain distance. Practice, practice, practive are the 3 major things you have to do to understand how your flash works.

Last edited:
Thanks for this information. I think it will help me a lot with using my flash!!

This may be a stupid question, but how did you figure out my settings from these photos on here?

I actually accidentally used a high iso that day....that is bad I know, but I know now to always, always check it and set it for the situation I am in and look I am going for.

This may be a stupid question, but how did you figure out my settings from these photos on here?

I actually accidentally used a high iso that day....that is bad I know, but I know now to always, always check it and set it for the situation I am in and look I am going for.

You can download an EXIF viewer for your specific browser :)

I ALWAYS forget to check my ISO... I'm going to have to start putting a sticker on my camera or something!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back