baby pics c&c

I like #1 the best. If you could edit the eyes a little. They are big, beautiful brown eyes, but they blend right in with the pupil and they just look really dark.

Thank you! These were shot in what I think to be 'open shade'. In the first one the sun was sort of behind him and shining on his right side. On the second one he was more facing it. I used a flash on both to help brighten the eyes. Also did adjustments in lr, didn't look this good sooc :lol:

I am not seeing much in way of catchlights.. possibly how you had the flash positioned? You could use a reflector to improve this also. Some nice big catchlights would really make those eyes sparkle!

Yes, it was just my built in flash...thats all I got! I am getting a reflector soon! But I need to learn how/why/when to use them. Do I need the subjects back to the sun? That way I can put the reflector in front of them and bounce the sun into their face?

Thank you! These were shot in what I think to be 'open shade'. In the first one the sun was sort of behind him and shining on his right side. On the second one he was more facing it. I used a flash on both to help brighten the eyes. Also did adjustments in lr, didn't look this good sooc :lol:

I am not seeing much in way of catchlights.. possibly how you had the flash positioned? You could use a reflector to improve this also. Some nice big catchlights would really make those eyes sparkle!

Yes, it was just my built in flash...thats all I got! I am getting a reflector soon! But I need to learn how/why/when to use them. Do I need the subjects back to the sun? That way I can put the reflector in front of them and bounce the sun into their face?

You can use a white pizza box.. or a piece of foil covered cardboard for a reflector. You don't have to buy them, although those are very convenient. You can use a reflector to improve the flash bounce.. or with the sun in almost any position. As you move the reflector around.. you will see how the light changes on the subject, so reflectors are very intuitive to use.

You can use a white pizza box.. or a piece of foil covered cardboard for a reflector. You don't have to buy them, although those are very convenient. You can use a reflector to improve the flash bounce.. or with the sun in almost any position. As you move the reflector around.. you will see how the light changes on the subject, so reflectors are very intuitive to use.

awesome! I have a costco roll of foil and cardboard too.....I'll make one today!

I like #1 the best. If you could edit the eyes a little. They are big, beautiful brown eyes, but they blend right in with the pupil and they just look really dark.

They are very dark, you cant even see the pupil in person so I'm not sure I could achieve that....

I think they are cute but I would add that I think they could use a bit more contrast. Also, the skin tones and color of his hair blends a bit too much for me with the background fence. The background in the first is a bit busy and the background in the second is a bit blown out near the top.

I would also work on getting catchlights in his eyes. They are so dark that some lighting would really help them pop. You could also work on getting them brighter in LR3.

While I think these are quite nice now, I do think that they lose a lot because of the brightness that is pretty constant around the baby which seems to almost get lost.

I would suggest that you darken everything but the baby a good deal and then even decrease his/her brightness and increase the saturation a bit.
That seems to give, on my monitor, a much more luxurious image where the baby is the center of attention and there aren't other bright things that pull the eye.

679781070766e481de79b22o.jpg

Last edited:
I like the second one too. OK as someone said the lighting is maybe a bit flat, but I think with this sort of "moment" shot that isn't as important as it might be otherwise. Point is, any client (i.e. the baby's mum) would love them...

This isn't a successful in the second one because there are almost burnt out areas over the cheekbones that show up when some of the PPing is done.

Printing this on a textured paper would disguise some of those blanched areas, I think.

67978087452048c713dfbll.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots. I'm looking forward to the birth of our baby; I will have a willing subject for YEARS. Or at least one that can't fight back too hard. ;)

Thanks traveler for your edits. I do see what you mean about having him be the brightest thing :)

@ Pencil....mom does love them hehehe....its my baby ;)

@jeremy, congrats! Your life will NEVER be the same. And they aren't willing subjects for too long. My 2 year old won't even look at the camera anymore....she just says "cheese" and continues digging or whatever she is involved in haha

While I think these are quite nice now, I do think that they lose a lot because of the brightness that is pretty constant around the baby which seems to almost get lost.

I would suggest that you darken everything but the baby a good deal and then even decrease his/her brightness and increase the saturation a bit.
That seems to give, on my monitor, a much more luxurious image where the baby is the center of attention and there aren't other bright things that pull the eye.

Nice Edit! :)

I do see what you mean about having him be the brightest thing :)

That is the tactic in PPing.
After you correct gross problems such as WB, brightness, tint, etc, then look at the picture and decide very clearly what exactly you want the person's eyes to go to and stay on.
Then correct or de-emphasize everything that pulls your eye away.
  • Crop to simplify a picture
  • Burn to lower brightness
  • Selectively lower saturation to remove brilliant color.
Your goal is to end up with a picture that is pleasant all over but whose minor parts ineluctably draw the viewer's eyes to what you want the viewer to look at.

Then finish the image by removing any tiny annoyances, correct unwanted shadows.
Selectively sharpen the things you want looked at.

That makes the difference between a picture that Mommy and realtives will like and a picture that everyone will love.
You want a picture that is so sharp and clear and truthful that it isn't so much an image as it is a window into a captured reality.

Thank you so much traveler. I love all that great info and tips! I don't really know much about post processing yet. Still experimenting :). Did you use the burn and desturate brushes in LR? Will those work? Or should I use layers in PS?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back