Baby's birth photoshoot... help!

nola.ron

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yep, I'm one of THOSE guys now... except I'm a little more prepared and have a little more time than usual! My best friend's wife (my cousin), has asked me to shoot the birth of their son... for free

I'm having no issues with her asking me to do it for free (I'm not a pro, obviously). I am also honored to be there. I would do it for free for them even if I were a pro. I have told my cousin 2 times very clearly: I am NOT a pro and I CAN'T guarantee all nor ANY of the photos will come out. She claims she is well aware of that and knows how it works, and that even if she could afford to pay someone else she would want me to do it because she doesn't want a stranger in the room.

Now that we have all that sorted out, what should I expect? I am comfortable with my cameras and plan to bring the following gear:

Manfroto tripod (purchasing next week)
Wireless Remote
Flash (Need to buy one... thinking YGII?)
D7000 w/ 50mm 1.8g
D3000 w/ 18-155 kit lens
Rapid straps
4 memory cards

Anything else I should have? I was thinking of setting up my D7K on the tripod for video and shots of the baby being held for fast snapping and carrying the D3K (but I hate to primarily shoot with that). The flash is going to be my first, and I'm ordering it this week so I have plenty of time to learn.

Can anyone with experience also tell me what to expect and anything I should be cautious of? The hospital is apparently tailored around the wants of the mother, there's tons of room, dedicated room for the entire process, photographer's are allowed (although I told her to ask specifically if a flash is allowed), etc.

I'd run the other way but... I'd myself keep it simple and take a short lens (I'm thinking that you're not going to be that far away from the kid!) - I'd probably want to take a sharp lens more than anything although I imagine the lighting would be decent in a hospital. Unless there's a problem wouldn't that be more than enough memory cards to cover the amount of time a baby's being born? I'd think so for me anyway unless you plan to hang out a long time afterwards and take pictures of everybody holding the baby etc. (but perhaps that would be for another day or time not at the birth). Try not to puke (I'd have trouble with the sight of blood and... stuff) and have fun.

(And I should say, I have not done this type thing professionally, just have taken some pictures of kids after they've been out of their mommy's womb for quite some time...)

I'd run the other way but... I'd myself keep it simple and take a short lens (I'm thinking that you're not going to be that far away from the kid!) - I'd probably want to take a sharp lens more than anything although I imagine the lighting would be decent in a hospital. Unless there's a problem wouldn't that be more than enough memory cards to cover the amount of time a baby's being born? I'd think so for me anyway unless you plan to hang out a long time afterwards and take pictures of everybody holding the baby etc. (but perhaps that would be for another day or time not at the birth). Try not to puke (I'd have trouble with the sight of blood and... stuff) and have fun.

(And I should say, I have not done this type thing professionally, just have taken some pictures of kids after they've been out of their mommy's womb for quite some time...)

Hahaha, maybe I should have been more specific! This is not DURING birth pictures, just before and after... all the family, moms and dads, etc. My D7K holds 2 cards, so I plan on shooting RAW in one and then JPEG in the other. Then I'll really have one extra card left in the event either camera needs a replacement.

I'm have my opinion, I've been through the birth of my 2 children.
Leave the tripod at home.
There's a time and a place for it...I don't believe a hospital is that place. Setting that up in a hospital would be, well, awkward. All those shots can be handheld.
If you're taking family photos, I'd suggest going outside to the hospital courtyard, or go home to the family's house.

Flash? Not in the delivery room. Leave that too. That little one won't want flashing strobes in its face. Neither will the mom. This is when you Use that 1.8 to its advantage. These are the photos with swollen eyes, red skin covered in vernix, etc.
GET IN CLOSE!
Depending how fast you can get in there...catch the mom holding the baby right away after birth, catch the father cutting the umbilical cord, and the cleaning and weighing of the baby. I think that's a great moment.

There will be a time and place, as well, for this newborn's "pro" photo shoot with the whole setup of flashes, reflectors, etc. Within hours of coming to this world is not that time. Usually within the first 7 days is best, that way they're still wrinkly skinned, sleepy in the fetal position.

I agree with the previous post...leave the tripod at home.

It's up to you (and/or them) whether you should shoot video and stills..and maybe I'm old school...but I'd suggest sticking to one over the other. Or at least not trying to do too much at once. This is a wonderful but very personal moment for the family, not a sporting event that needs to be covered from every angle.

I had a photographer friend cover the birth of my first child. She got some great shots by hanging back and using a longer lens (70-200). She used flash but never direct, always bounced (possibly with a Fong Dong).

I also have some great shots from the birth of my son (first) and daughters which I got with a 50mm getting up pretty close (as mentioned above). Little details like hands/feet/fingers/toes etc.

I personally don't think that flash it too harmful for babies, but I still wouldn't blast them with direct flash...always bounce. If it happens during the day, try to use window light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back