Back again with more questions (Lenses)

BRIANxJDM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am into car photography and I would be taking pictures of cars at show and what not. I want to be at or at least close to StanceWorks photographer level. What lenses should I get? I want to know what is a good decent "Close-Up" "Fisheye" and a decent lenses to do coverage shoot. Thanks

I see nothing special about their photography. Maybe their photography is better on a magazine if they have one.

Go to Nikon, Tamaron, Sigma and Tonica websites and see what they offer.

Fisheye will be tough as your camera will multiply the focal length by 1.5x ... so you are probably looking at a 10mm lens to give you 15mm.

Close up is probably 35mm to give you "normal" lens view (50mm). I am assuming you're not talking macro.

Coverage shots, look at zooms. They allow you to stand in one place and get the look you're after. Or else look at 85mm, 105mm, 135mm, 200mm and 300mm prime lenses.

Better quality lenses usually have larger f stops (2.0, 1.8 or 1.4). Larger f stops = more money.

But with all that said, having decent (or great) gear may not give you better results. Learning to really use what you have right now will probably give you the same or better results that are on that website.

Just my opinion!

What do you think it is a good lense to use for car photoshoots and car meet coverage?

Well the EXIF data says it was shot at 18mm. How about a Canon EF-s 10-22 or a Tokina 11-16?

For the Nikon Lenses what is the difference between wide angle and high power zoom?

For the Nikon Lenses what is the difference between wide angle and high power zoom?
Wide angles make things smaller, but have a wide field of view (wide angle) and usually introduce a fair amount of distortion.

AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED from Nikon

High powered zooms have a lot of magnification and a small field of view (narrow angle).

AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II from Nikon

You might visit www.nikonusa.com and tap into some of their resources, like their lens simulator:

Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Lenses Simulator

You might also learn how to do effective Internet and/or forum searches so you don't waste so much time waiting for responses to your queries. ;)

A strength of wide-angle lenses is also to achieve very close-in, dynamic pictures while retaining a fair amount of context.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going for the lenses in my wishlist.

what else is different between these two lenses beside the zoom and price?
AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

Most reactions

New Topics

Back