Back Breaker *Please C&C*

Keep personal bias out of your comments.....comment on technical aspects etc, not how YOU would like it to look.

Hmmm...what exactly should be commented on then?
Even "technical" aspects have no real right and wrong.
You can be creative on the technical side as well.
Hearing other peoples opinions also helps you grow.
It can help you think in ways you wouldn't have otherwise.

100% correct there. Opinions make the world go round. There would be no forum if you couldn't state your opinion... 95% of posts on the forum come from personal opinion or experience.

As for the pictures, I think you needed a faster shutter speed (as you can tell in the cropped version). I think your first set of shots were better (other thread). :thumbup: for the effort, you barely missed it... a few seconds faster shutter speed and you would've nailed it! Keep the pictures coming! ;)

How do you know if you have the right shutter speed? 1/20 vs 1/200 vs 1/600?

There are two things affected by shutter speed - motion(or freezing motion) and exposure. Aperture will control your depth of field but ALSO affects exposure as well. So you need a combination of aperture and shutter speed that will get you the proper exposure at a given ISO.

For the type of photo you've posted, if the subject isn't sharp or "frozen", your shutter speed is too slow(IF you're looking to freeze the motion - again, subjective).
If the photo is too dark, your shutter is too fast, and if it's too light with blown highlights(pure white areas with no detail), your shutter speed is too slow.

Your camera has a meter which will tell you if the image will be under or over exposed for any given combination of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

If you speed up the shutter, you might have to open up the aperture(lower f-stop number) or increase the ISO to allow enough light to hit the sensor for a proper exposure.

It works in reverse too, if you open up the aperture, and you're shooting in aperture priority mode, the camera will automatically increase the shutter speed for a proper exposure.

So you have 3 ways to increase shutter speed. Widen the aperture, increase the ISO, or speed up the shutter yourself(either in manual or shutter priority).

Just remember that changing one setting will require adjustments to at least one other setting(and maybe both) to maintain proper exposure.

Generally I find that when shooting in direct sunlight, if I stick with aperture priority mode, any reasonable aperture will produce enough shutter speed to freeze most motion. This is not a hard and fast rule, as there is an exception to everything.

Hope that's a little clearer than mud for you. If not, let me know.

Do you get to Sea World often? If you go again, get that zoom lens on there and try again and re-post your photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back