Back Door

Tuna

Fotoğrafçı
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The back door to an old church in Richmond, England.

All comments and critique greatly appreciated.

Tuna

ChurchDoorWeb5.jpg

Love the placement of the door here.

I'm not much for selective coloring, though it's nicely done in this image. :D

terri said:
Love the placement of the door here.

I'm not much for selective coloring, though it's nicely done in this image. :D

NOT selective coloring!! Full color image.

I have increased contrast to the upper part of the image to highlight the wall and door, which are the color seen - B&W. Then I increased the saturation, as a whole, to bring out the different bursts of color found in the image - to contrast with the natural B&W of the church. I guess what you assumed, Terri, was what I saw as unique to this image. Hopefully your reaction means I have enhanced it just enough to do it justice...

Tuna

I really like the composition, it absolutely makes the door an interesting subject. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is there may be a little too much of the wall above for my tastes.

I might try cropping a little from the top and a little on the left, while trying to keep the same basic composition. I'd like to see the door stand out just a little more as the main subject. Then again, I could be way off! :)

Now that's wild. Yep, I was fooled! :D It totally struck me as one of those partially-desaturated images which I'm not a fan of. It STILL looks that way to me, really, though I think I can detect a hint of color in that B&W wall.

So the main body of the church is naturally B&W, for the most part? I'd like to see more views of it, if you have some. Very unique.

What I miss is a little more detail in the door. It is in every part of the picture (which is why I don't mind as much wall left and on top of the door), and I love it in the overgrown pavement - but the topic of the photo is missing it.

So I miss it, too...

OK, guys. Great comments.

Here is a slightly cropped version with a little more detail in the door...though I don't want to lighten the door TOO much...

Better?

Tuna

ChurchDoorWeb7.jpg

terri said:
Now that's wild. Yep, I was fooled! :D It totally struck me as one of those partially-desaturated images which I'm not a fan of. It STILL looks that way to me, really, though I think I can detect a hint of color in that B&W wall.

So the main body of the church is naturally B&W, for the most part? I'd like to see more views of it, if you have some. Very unique.

I believe it was just this back wall that had this texture. Unfortunately, I simply stumbled upon this fantastic church as I was passing through this area during my visit to London and really didn't have much time to spend there. I did manage a few shots and will see if I can dig them out and post them soon.

Tuna

i love this shot and perfer the original post. you are by far one of my favorite photogs here!!! :thumbsup:

JonMikal said:
i love this shot and perfer the original post. you are by far one of my favorite photogs here!!! :thumbsup:

That's very kind of you to say, Jon. I'm glad you like some of my photos.

Tuna

I love the wonderful colors here. Especially contrast between green and yellow. And the textural door pay my attention - good job

terri said:

Here are a few I found - not the greatest view of the church but...

By the way, I think the back wall is made of flint, a type of surface they would occasionally use on important buildings in the old days. This church must have been important at some point as it was surrounded with many large, important looking shrines and tombs - a few can be seen in the bottom image.

Tuna

Richmond3.jpg

Richmond1.jpg

Hey, Tuna, thanks for sending us also the "context" of your first photo. That's a good idea.

And I prefer your edition to the original "Back Door" photo, mainly because of the subtlety of the changes done to it. (Makes me wish I understood my Photoshop a little better - I understand but a fraction of it...)

Wow! What a superb shot! I wish I had the knowledge and expertise to make a subject like that so interesting to look at!

Personally I prefer the original version. I like that there's a lot of that wall above the door because the wall has such an interesting texture that you don't see all that often.

The colours are superb and it really creates a strong, moody feel. This has to be one of my absolute favourite pictures of yours!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back