backdrops that don't wrinkle...

mommyof4qteez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am in need of some new backdrops...preferrably ones that won't wrinkle... Any suggestions? What do you use?

Seamless paper

I mainly used seamless paper, but I used high quality muslin backdrops too (Silverlake and Denny's). Muslin backdrops don't wrinkle if they are left hanging or rolled up.

If you wad muslin backdrops up or fold them, they wrinkle. Then you need a SteamFast SF-407 1500-Watt Fabric Steamer

Some photographers use canvas or vinyl backdrops.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yup...paper, vinyl or canvas are viable options....but really, it's all in what your set up is and how you store your backdrop. It won't wrinkle on it's own, if you leave it in place, or just roll it up.

Paper is great because you can always pull out fresh stuff (but it's a consumable and needs to be replaced). Vinyl is more durable than paper. I have a vinyl backdrop but I've had to roll and fold it up and it does have small wrinkles. But with good lighting, they can be made to disappear in the photos.
A good heavy canvas backdrop should not wrinkle much (especially if you don't fold it up). They can last for a lifetime and can be repainted etc. But a good quality, large canvas backdrop will cost quite a bit.

Friend of mine uses what is basically a skateboard ramp. To change color, he rolls a new coat of paint on it.

Friend of mine uses what is basically a skateboard ramp. To change color, he rolls a new coat of paint on it.

In this industry, I think those are often called an 'infinity wall' or Cyclorama.

I mainly used seamless paper, but I used high quality muslin backdrops too (Silverlake and Denny's). Muslin backdrops don't wrinkle if they are left hanging or rolled up.

If you wad muslin backdrops up or fold them, they wrinkle. Then you need a SteamFast SF-407 1500-Watt Fabric Steamer

I have 3 muslin backdrops that I like and I also own this steamer. The steamer is a bit of a hassle to use, however, unless you have a couple of friends to help stretch out the muslin. The fabric is so large that trying to handle it with one hand while handling the steamer with the other is nearly impossible.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
paper wrinkles too if you fold it like fabric hahaha.

I often use cloth from a local fabric store.. can't remember what it is called, but it is similar to the freedom cloth that Christina mentioned. Even wadded up.. it hardly shows wrinkles at all.... and since it is slightly stretchy, you can get rid of any wrinkles with slight tension...

"...carpets that don't stain!".... "pens that never run out of ink!"..."the only kitchen gadget you're EVER need!"..."foolproof operation!"... "easy assembly in just minutes!" ..."backgrounds that don't wrinkle!"

I guess only photographers would say that paper wont wrinkle. Anyone else would say otherwise :)

I have some cheap muslins and they will wrinkle bad if tehre folded or balled up. i made a cheap ($20) pvc support in my spare bedroom to keep from folding them as much. have also found I believe its downy wrinkle free spray that works pretty well at pulling wrinkles out.

"...carpets that don't stain!".... "pens that never run out of ink!"..."the only kitchen gadget you're EVER need!"..."foolproof operation!"... "easy assembly in just minutes!" ..."backgrounds that don't wrinkle!"

What.. no Shakes .. Uh, I mean DerrelSpeare??? <Sad Face>!

Most reactions

Back