Backdrops

RubyGloom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which do you prefer, seamless paper, muslin or vinyl and why?

I had bought 3 muslins but they were very difficult to get wrinkle free so I switched to seamless paper and I love it. I went in to get a new role recently and the guy told me I am wasting money and muslin or vinyl are way better. I did not like muslin and a side from the price of vinyl I would worry about it being difficult to change backdrops during shoots as well as limited colors. I am sticking with seamless as I love it but it got me thinking and was curious on what other people prefer and why. Thanks!

Paper works quite well and has been a standard for well over fifty years...if one has a good system for suspending the paper, and for rolling it down and then back up, it lasts reasonably well. The key is "good system". I like thunder gray quite a bit--it's a very useful shade of gray, and works quite well for me. I also like black paper, and white. Black works wonderfully with gels, and keeps excess gelled light from bouncing back toward the subject.

I bought a white muslin backdrop recently and I am also having issues with wrinkles. Anyone have suggestions for keeping it wrinkle free?

I won't shoot muslin unless I absolutely have to, and then it's only black backgrounds where I don't have to be worried about the wrinkles. I much rather shoot with seamless paper, or for a portable black backdrop I use a jersey knit black sheet which is very easy to stretch the wrinkles outl.

truephotoga said:
I bought a white muslin backdrop recently and I am also having issues with wrinkles. Anyone have suggestions for keeping it wrinkle free?

Leave it hanging up?!?

To get the wrinkles out, I would suggest a garment steamer. I do like muslins, but avoid light solids because they do show the wrinkles, If you dont have them hanging all the time, they do get wrinkled as stated above. I have some darker colored and patterned ones that I can yank out of a bag and use because they barely show any wrinkles. I do like seamless, but unless you have a studio they are tedious to lug around, carrying around a 10' tube isnt fun. I have never used vinyl yet.

truephotoga said:

Use a steamer and leave them hung up of possible. I also would have my subject as far from the backdrop as possible and have a large aperture and it would blur out some of the wrinkles.

Does anyone use vinyl? I recently bought a portable vinyl backdrop I like I wouldn't want to use it for studio shoots.

I don't really have a preference. I use muslin, canvas, paper rolls, custom design papers, vinyl, blankets, or whatever looks cool. Paper Rolls are the easiest because all I have to do is walk over and roll one down but they're probably my least favorite visually.

If you have a studio muslins are definitely cheaper and last, however if you can't keep them hanging up or you can't steam/iron them each time you pull them out they are a pain in the butt.
MANY photographers shoot with paper. yes, you throw it away, however it's worth the convenience if you can't keep your backdrops up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back