Backlit Lilly - C&C welcome.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken this past weekend in the Shenandoah River valley in Virginia.

ISO 200; f/18; 1/200. Shot straight into the sun with my D90. Some PP to remove spider webs and cropping.

Thanks for looking.

7176547985_29fbc734a4.jpg
[/URL] Backlit Lilly by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

I like the color and idea. Not a fan of the crop. Need more sky top right

I agree with Schwetty. I reckon this would have worked in a 4:3 frame and placing the flower in the bottom left RoT corner. There are also a couple of dust specks on your sensor to the right.

Better.

I think to make it really work, you really need to get rid the mess at the base. Find a solo flower sticking up high or something.

Better.

I think to make it really work, you really need to get rid the mess at the base. Find a solo flower sticking up high or something.

I totally agree. When I got home and looked at these on my monitor, that same idea struck me. That's the difference between a pro and an amateur---attention to detail. I have a few others I will post later that are just the flower--maybe those will work better.

Thanks for the comments.

I really like your execution as the color looks great. As for the crop, you can do better.

LOL.. I would put the flower on the 1/3 of the frame. Clone some more blue sky on the right :). OR, really think about your framing next time.

I don't really think flowers have to follow ROT's personally. with the stem leading up from bottom left, it could work with flower in or around center. including more sky isn't that important, to me, as it is nothing but blue sky...nothing up there to look at.

however, a slight better crop would do it better, and as far as the stuff in the bottom, i'd just take out that extra green thing on bottom right and clone out that brown stem. well, and that other flower piece.

just my outlook on it.

Here's what I did. I was a little sloppy with the stem, but it was hard to be super precise when all there was was a compressed jpeg in the first place. Not too much, just some repeated usage of clone and repair (or heal, depending on your program).

7176682693_c0056f701e by franklinrabon, on Flickr

Here's what I would do if it were mine. Just my taste...so not saying it's "THE" way...just what i'd do.

not sure on the bright of sky between the two...

$7177130855_0351792005_k-3.jpg

$7177130855_0351792005_k-5.jpg

LOL.. I would put the flower on the 1/3 of the frame. Clone some more blue sky on the right :). OR, really think about your framing next time.

Yeah, it was hard holding the camera with 1 hand, pulling other flowers away with the other hand to make some space, lying on my back in a field and staring directly at the really bright sun. :lol:

By the way, I did this image following an example from Bryan Peterson in Understanding Exposure. He got a better result than me. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back