Backpack

ilovemy50d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone recommend a back pack?
I'm headed to Las Vegas soon and I think a backpack would work much better as a carry on bag and carrying it around the Grand Canyon. So, I need it to hold 2 bodies, 3 lenses, a flash, a tripod, and possibly my laptop. I'm really short (5') and it has to be small enough to work as my carry on bag. Am I asking too much for one bag?
Thanks for any advice/help!

I have a Lowepro Computrekker AW and I've toted that thing around the world.

The camera storage area should be big enough to hold the gear you mention (depending on the size of the lenses). It's got a laptop sleeve and a front storage area that is separate from the camera gear, and big enough to hold a decent amount of stuff. Being an 'AW' (all weather) bag, it has a pull out rain cover (which was indispensable in Costa Rica). It does have a tripod support pouch and bungy cords to hold it, but I never like that.
It has nice padded straps and a waist belt, so it's OK for longer hikes...but I don't like the 'bulk' of the bag. It holds a lot of weight too far away from your body. A better designed backpack will spread the bulk & weight more vertically, keeping it closer to your centre of gravity. In this aspect, I think the Lowepro Nature Trekker bags are better, but I don't know if that line has a computer holding bag.

As for airline travel...that's a tricky issue these days. Technically, I don't think the bag (when fully loaded) will fit into those metal sizing racks at the air port, and when it's full of camera gear (not to mention an average laptop) it gets very heavy...probably over the limit for carry on. But at long as you carry it (and not drag it) they usually don't ask about the weight. It does fit into the overhead bins on just about every plane I've been on...but again, with the recent tightening of security...it may be a risk.

Flying within the US, you might be OK, but for a while, they were not allowing any extra carry on luggage for flights into the US (from Canada anyway). That only lasted a few weeks because it was ridiculous...and camera bags are one of the things they tend to allow as carry on.

The sticky bit may be the tripod. The typical advice is to put the tripod into your checked luggage, or maybe ship it separately. (or just buy a cheap one at your destination).

Most reactions

Back