backpacking throughout Asia - what would you bring?

I just got back from a three week mini-backpacking trip in SE Asia, and it was a blast. I was going for the partial purpose of flushing out my portfolio with some good travel pics, so I brought quite a bit of gear (considering I was backpacking). I brought a Tokina 12-24, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and 50mm f1.8 and my d80. I lugged it all around in a Pelican 1500 series case, with my laptop inside, weighed like 25 lbs. I also had my hefty tripod strapped to my pack. The real benefit came from being able to cable-lock the case to stuff inside the more budget rooms with all my important stuff inside (i.e. Passport and extra cash or cards, security is important that far from home). Also, being waterproof is a big plus as you end up having to get off boats in chest deep water to get to some of the Islands. I would have had a heart attack carrying my laptop over my head unprotected while nearly swimming.

Oh, and I'd highly recommend hitting up the Cambodian coast, it was absolutely amazing and pretty cheap. Thailand is over-rated.

Edit: I actually just got home this morning, so excuse any bad grammar from jet-lag. Trying to stay up until the proper time tonight so I can hopefully beat the jet-lag. I mostly used my wide-angle, it was probably on my camera for about 70% of the time, just for reference. I was glad to have my tele when I needed it, but I would consider it too much bulk to haul around if I were to do it again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back