Another Travel "What Should I Bring" Thread

Blinkey6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have searched the forum and had just a few quick questions.

First off - hello. ;) I've travelled around the world quite a bit and shoot for fun and for myself. It's developed into an obsession - not a business as I do something else for money not related to photography at this time.

Anyhow, it started in the bolivian amazon and has ended in asia and all the countries in between. During these years I've amassed:
D800E
Nikkor 24X70mm lens (which is heavy!)
105mm macro lens (which is also very very heavy)
50mm f1.8 (yes, I know I should have gotten the 1.4 but they didn't have any in Hanoi. Long story)

To try to cut down weight I've upgraded my tripod to a Gitzo. I am getting a little tired of all this bloody weight and this years three month travel plans include trekking in Nepal and I don't want to carry too much weight.

What would you all suggest that I bring? I really love my macro lens but I fear it's just too much to bring. I've lugged that thing around for 2 years now and between that and my 24X70 it's getting to be just too much.

Thank you all for any advice that you have.

One thing that I can recommend is Think Tank cases. They are about the best thing that I can recommend for all photographers. It's really meant to last a lifetime. ;)

Thanks again.

I have searched the forum and had just a few quick questions.

First off - hello. ;) I've travelled around the world quite a bit and shoot for fun and for myself. It's developed into an obsession - not a business as I do something else for money not related to photography at this time.

Anyhow, it started in the bolivian amazon and has ended in asia and all the countries in between. During these years I've amassed:
D800E
Nikkor 24X70mm lens (which is heavy!)
105mm macro lens (which is also very very heavy)
50mm f1.8 (yes, I know I should have gotten the 1.4 but they didn't have any in Hanoi. Long story)

To try to cut down weight I've upgraded my tripod to a Gitzo. I am getting a little tired of all this bloody weight and this years three month travel plans include trekking in Nepal and I don't want to carry too much weight.

What would you all suggest that I bring? I really love my macro lens but I fear it's just too much to bring. I've lugged that thing around for 2 years now and between that and my 24X70 it's getting to be just too much.

Thank you all for any advice that you have.

One thing that I can recommend is Think Tank cases. They are about the best thing that I can recommend for all photographers. It's really meant to last a lifetime. ;)

Thanks again.

I'm sorry - but if you think I should buy a different lens, I am all ears too.

It really depends what lenses you use most. For me, a long macro lens is sort of a "specialty" thing that I'd use infrequently, so for travel, the 24-70 and 50 would do it. That gives you full coverage from wide angle to short telephoto, plus a bonus fast normal walkaround lens.

I also don't both with full tripods for travel -- I carry a tiny one and improvise. It's the size, not the weight. My priorities sound a little different, though: I carry everything in a 8.5 x 6.5 x 3.5 drop-in insert that goes in my daypack, and travel with Micro Four-Thirds gear, so my input may not be what you're looking for.

It really depends what lenses you use most. For me, a long macro lens is sort of a "specialty" thing that I'd use infrequently, so for travel, the 24-70 and 50 would do it. That gives you full coverage from wide angle to short telephoto, plus a bonus fast normal walkaround lens.

I also don't both with full tripods for travel -- I carry a tiny one and improvise. It's the size, not the weight. My priorities sound a little different, though: I carry everything in a 8.5 x 6.5 x 3.5 drop-in insert that goes in my daypack, and travel with Micro Four-Thirds gear, so my input may not be what you're looking for.
Hello Elemental,
Thank you for the reply. That is what I was thinking too - I really do love my 24X70 but packing it around gets really tiresome, especially at 5400 metres. IT's a gorgeous lens and I would really like a lineup of some smaller ones but I bought it and pretty much have to pack it around, I guess. ;(

I use my tripod for time-lapsed and night photography and find it invaluable for other applications.

I agree with your insert idea - I've done that for years but have changed to something on the outside and easy to reach so that I can get a quick shot away if need be. It's whatever works for you - we're all different.

Unfortunately, I won't be taking my 105mm lens this round. It's more for photographing insects and such. IT is another lens that I wonder about half the time but I just can't take the weight. :(

I've moved from FF to m4/3 to Sony A7 II and assorted lenses. probably 95% of my shots are with 24-70,
Never schlep a tripod.

I always carry a positive attitude and an open mind. I used to carry a sense of optimism but it got lost during a layover in O'Hare.

Can't go wrong with a 35 and 50mm.

I always carry a positive attitude and an open mind. I used to carry a sense of optimism but it got lost during a layover in O'Hare.

Can't go wrong with a 35 and 50mm.
The Traveler,
Nice to see that the 24X70 is your lens of choice too. It's what I use most of the time too.

And I agree - I love my 50mm lens for street shots. It's a great lens and really cheap too. I so regret not having a 1.4 instead of the 1.8 but there was no choice as my other lens was damaged and that's all they had. (in Hanoi)

I love my tripod though. ;) You can do so much more with it but then - well, you have to lug it around!

Most reactions

Back