Backrounds of pictures

JayJay65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im very horrible with figuring out what backround makes the picture look nice.. is there any advice anyone can give me, (pictures with the advice would be awesome :mrgreen:)

Thanks..
-Jess

I would think that this would probably be better suited in the begginers section. Hmm well a backround that makes the picture look nice would just be anything that is pleasing to the eye or an interesting subject. There is no limit or guideline to what backround makes a picture nice, it just depends on what you are going for really. My best advice would have to be just take different pictures with all kinds of backrounds and see what YOU like

It all depends on your studio lighting skills when it comes to photographic backdrops, look up hi-key and low key lighting techniques. H

Are you looking for advice on portraits on landscapes or wildlife or macro....
Different places are going to need different types of backgrounds.
With portraits you usually try to isolate the subject. So an out of focus background or a relitivly plain background is usually used to put focus on the subject.
So single coloured walls or sheets, textured materials or gradient patterns. if shooting out doors then usually a small aperture (like f/2.8) to totally blur the background out.

Landscape work usually involves the background more, but it depends on the situation. One big key compositional rule is layers, having a foreground, midground and background. So something that is fitting for what you are trying to show for the image.

Does the different modes on my camera control the aperture?

Ex: Landscape, Night + Portrait, Portrait, DIS Mode, Auto..

or is it.. the modes..

1. Sport
2. Indoor
3. Candle
4. Self Portrait
5. Sunset
6. Fireworks
7. Behind Glass
8. Cuisine
9. Documents
10. Auction

What exactly do those do? (it doesnt tell on the manuel or anything)

And im mostly talking about Macros and Outside..

To be honest I have no idea what all those modes on the camera do. I think they set the aperture/shutter and white balance automatically for the associated types of photo.
I only ever have my camera in Manual or Av(aperture priority).
With macro photography you usually want to isolate the subject. So a shallow depth of field again so the background doesn't distract from the subject.
Impossible to say really. You don't want the background to interfer with the image too much, but it has to be there to give a finishing point in your shot.

How would I know if the aperture changes..

And yes, my camera has a brightness change.. "exposure composition"

I already tried before, and it didn't say anything on there about it.. I found on my camera that it says, for blurring the backround, use ___ setting.. so i'm going to go outside to take my picture of the day

Most reactions

Back