backstage pass, what style to shoot?

Shadowbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I'm excited. I know that they just take whatever 3 photographers volunteer but it's still a big opportunity so I need some input. It's called the Miss Uproar contest & will feature different bands & models and I have a press pass to do photos backstage.

I have viewed other photographers backstage photos from the event and they are alright, but it looks crazy & it looks like you don't get any photos to help enhance your portfolio. So taking that out of the equation what you do get is experience, you get to see the models & bands & you get to learn from it. That's the most important part for me. Plus you get to network!

But I'm really nervous because I am a very subdued and shy type of person, the camera helps bring that out of me but still this is a rock concert with multiple bands & hot chicks! There is going to be a huge crowd!

What would be the best type of photos to get? I noticed some people went for the artistic DOF type photos but it didn't seem to work as well in this setting. Obviously during the portion where the models have their hair & makeup done I will use some DOF because it will be more about that single person & the make up artist than about the whole group but once that is over, what type of photos would be best in this situation?

I'm nervous but I am excited!

Thanks

Not sure you can really plan for this if it's going to be that hectic back stage. Also I'm not sure anyone on here can tell you a style to shoot, use your own style and what you think will look good. Hey, it will be a learning experience, enjoy it!

I'm new here, and really haven't done any real photo shoots, but my 0.02 is just go with the flow.

I'd say get to know everyone there, don't be that photography guy that tells everyone what to do etc etc. I'd say capture the crazyness. Be on the look out for people knocking stuff over, I think it'd make for some good photos. :)

If you can get access to the side and back of the stage, take some shots of performances, and also get a shot from the bands perspective, looking out at the crowd. Also, just go with the flow. Just try to compose scenes that atleast hint at what is going on. ( ie, a model in some outlandish outfit doing her makeup in a mirror, A band doing some screwy highfive ritual before taking the stage. A guy with a mic in hand, inserting ear monitors standing at the edge of the stage. There are many things that you could shoot and I am sure you are going to have to fly by the seat of your pants, but just make sure you don't take everything out of context by framing too tight or taking the shot at the wrong moment. Don't be afraid to observe without shooting and wait for the scene to develop into something worth capturing.

Also, most of the shallow DOF was most likely due to the low light and the need for wide apertures. Unless you have good light or are using flash, you are either going to have shallow DOF, or high ISO/noisy images.

Okay thanks for the thoughts. I'm looking forward to the experience, I guess I didn't know exactly what they wanted because they weren't clear other than take photos here and here is the schedule of events and deliver the photos in one week! Also we can only use flash during certain parts so I'm not sure what I'll do if it's too low light and no flash is allowed but I don't think that will be much of an issue.

Look out for unusual things happening, don't just shoot in one position move around talk to the models and try and get a reaction and try and tell a story, don't shoot too tight try and take in the surroundings, bands like to lark about backstage so you should get some good shots

Most reactions

Back