Backup of your photos

Hopefully Buckster will pop in and mention his setup. He has the setup that everyone should work towards emulating. Multiple striped RAID arrays, etc.

Me, I just backup across my tower, my notebook, USB drives and a little cloud storage for the good schtuff.

:lol: Very nice.

Tick - Redundant Array of Independent Discs to combat hardware failure.
Tick - Complete backup of redundant array to combat user error / virus or other corruption.
???? - Offsite backup?

I may have missed that because I was too busy staring at the awesomeness of the storage arrays, so forgive me if you do this. One important part about backups is the physical security of your backup.

If someone can break in and steal your computer along with the backup then it's not a good backup. If a fire or flood can wipe out your computer along with the backup then it's not a good backup.

The last step is always physical separation between the backup and the primary. JLEphoto's idea of a safety deposit box is good. I take my backups to work and they sit in the bottom desk drawer.

:lol: Very nice.

Tick - Redundant Array of Independent Discs to combat hardware failure.
Tick - Complete backup of redundant array to combat user error / virus or other corruption.
???? - Offsite backup?

I may have missed that because I was too busy staring at the awesomeness of the storage arrays, so forgive me if you do this. One important part about backups is the physical security of your backup.

If someone can break in and steal your computer along with the backup then it's not a good backup. If a fire or flood can wipe out your computer along with the backup then it's not a good backup.

The last step is always physical separation between the backup and the primary. JLEphoto's idea of a safety deposit box is good. I take my backups to work and they sit in the bottom desk drawer.
Yeah, I use an online server backup storage solution as well that also hosts my web site. I also make 2 backups on DVD of the newest photos/files at the end of each month, stick one in a fire proof safe here, and store the other at my sister's house a couple miles away.

Yep now that's a backup solution :D

I don't like the idea of online backup though. It sounds great having your data in the cloud till you need to actually recover it at 100kb/s :lmao:

Yep now that's a backup solution :D

I don't like the idea of online backup though. It sounds great having your data in the cloud till you need to actually recover it at 100kb/s :lmao:
I hear ya. That's really my very last line of defense, and if I'm there, I'm desperate because ALL the rest of my backup planning got killed somehow. Like if a tornado picked up both houses and dumped the entire contents into Lake Michigan, or something along those lines. :gah:

Thanks for all the responses.

I backup my photos on an external 80gig drive and burn a dvd once or twice a month. Every year I burn new dvds just in case the old one would not work anymore. Not a very sophisticated strategy, but I don't shoot more than 1gb/month, so I don't need massive hard discs for backup storage.

Once the month is over I burn that onto a DVD, usually make 3 copies, keeping 2 at home and 1 and a friends house for safety.

Weekly back-ups to 2 different external hard drives.

Back-up everything on the small hard drives to a MyBook 2TB (1TB for storage the other one as a redundancy)

Then one additional backup on the network

I have one external hard drive. I'm already filling it up though :( My plan is to just start putting shoots on DVDs and then deleting the files off my hard drive (at least the ones I don't use). I don't like that idea because I'll have everything in one medium and if a DVD gets scratched, I'm SOL. But I do have a lot of photos I don't need or have shot at different exposures. Shooting in RAW is great but uses space up like hell. Eventually as I earn more money, I'm gonna get a drobo and back things on there.

Most reactions

Back