Backup software

Drake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've recently bought a new, shiny external drive and intend using it as a backup drive. Until now I've been backing up to my secondary internal drive and once in a while burning my stuff to DVDs.

Now I am in the need of a simple, free backing up software. There are so many applications, yet none of the ones I've tried so far does what I want to. Most of them use their own backup file format which I do not trust. All I want is a mirror copy of my photo folder on the external drive, with all the files exactly as on the main drive. When I rename or edit a certain file, I'd like it to be updated when I plug my USB drive in. So basically what I need is just a simple piece of software to sync my Photo folder on demand. I don't need any scheduling.

I found a simple application called SyncToy by Microsoft that seems to meet my requirements and I'm testing it at the moment. Still, I am wondering what software are you guys using for backing up your photos and what would you recommend on Windows.

Sounds like you want to setup a RAID drive. There are lots of information on different types of RAID`s. its built into Windows but most of the public don't know about it and they are mainly used by business ..

I write a small batch script using Robocopy and mirror 1 hard drive to another through the network.

Sounds like you want to setup a RAID drive. There are lots of information on different types of RAID`s. its built into Windows but most of the public don't know about it and they are mainly used by business ..
Nope, I don't need RAID, it's an overkill for my needs. I just want something that will update my backup once I connect the USB drive to my PC.

SynchToy should do it.

Most reactions

Back